Connecting old IDE hard drive to SATA only MB?

Revenant

Over the weekend, was notified that my old faithful SATA drive was about to fail (which probably won't happen in a week or two, but still, I'd better start preparing).

Given the worst result of it crashing before I can purchase a new SATA HDD, does anyone have a good method (or suggest a good product) to connect an old IDE HDD to a motherboard that only accepts SATA connections?

IDE to SATA Adapter 5 euro by Ebay

CX-ITS1002-unit.jpg

I had purchased one of these before when I needed to connect a DVD drive, and it failed to work on either a DVD drive or any of the hard drives I had in storage from my old PC builds. One failure makes me very wary to purchase it again.

One I'm currently looking at is this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200787 -- Just need an SATA to Molex power adapter as well I believe. A bit high on the price, but worth it if it will work.

Also looking at some IDE/SATA HDD docks, but as they are USB, I don't believe my system would allow me to boot off of them if the need arose.

My co-worker has one like that, and I've used it, but my main concern on this is whether it will allow me to use it as a boot drive or to install my OS on the connected drive. That's a great product if you just need to access the drive once you're in your OS though. :)

My co-worker has one like that, and I've used it, but my main concern on this is whether it will allow me to use it as a boot drive or to install my OS on the connected drive. That's a great product if you just need to access the drive once you're in your OS though. :)

Call them and ask. Newer operating systems may require new drives for booting but i don't know that for sure.

http://eshop.macsales.com/Service/contact/

Phone: 800.275.4576 | International: 815.338.8685

Customer Service - Sales (CT)

Hours: Mon-Fri 8AM-10PM | Sat 9AM-4PM

Live Chat: 24x7

Technical Support (CT)

Hours: Mon-Fri 8AM-8PM | Sat 9AM-4PM

Live Chat: Mon-Fri 8AM-8PM | Sat 9AM-4PM

This is the one I have ...

133.jpg

http://www.vantecusa...view_detail/266

... and it works great, should do what you're asking (BOOT system off of Drive connected to it, though you'll have to edit your BIOS to select the USB drive/port as your BOOT drive inplace of C:/ drive temporarily), it's $25 +/- and can get at Fry's, NewEgg, Amazon.com, etc.

Good Luck :fixed

Edited by LA_Kings_Fan