Upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for $39.99

DJ aka GDR DJ

• 2 months later...

i have had windows 8 now for about 4 months it is very buggy you get blue screen of death when you run ET and vent or ET and team speak with et min the user interface is kinda lame but easy to use i wont be upgrading my pc till win 8 sp2 comes out not to mention it seems like the new networking protocalls slow down your nets speed on the same pc with 7 i had better upload and download speed then when i run 8. so take what you will from this but i will wait a while not jumping on this bandwagon

@^^: I still get 100/100Mbit by internet at home, about 800/400Mbit at uni and the full 900/900Mbit at home to my server. Network is not a problem. Ping is pretty much equal from my server to 8.8.4.4, about 7.5ms average. I've had a couple of crashes too though, but only on both Opera and IE10 (and Firefox, basically all browsers I've tried the last decade). All other crashes I had were when I had corrupted memory.

The full-screen menu is different than one might expect, but actually works just as good if not better. Press Windows-button, start typing, hit enter. You want to do it with mouse-opnly and miss the start-button? Move your mouse to the left lower corner, where it always was (well, not entirely for me since I have startbar left, but still). Despite a few minor changes, it is exactly the same. Or at least in the way I use it.

To give an impression, I've been working with it full time (>40hrs/week, at home and at uni) for about 1.5months now. Disadvantages so-far? It won't connect to the printers at the uni (but did the printer at home about 2134 times easier). Default it opens pretty much everything default in the metro-style app (but that is 1 click to change per file-type, literally), I can't change the intensity of the task-bar in the way that I was used to (pretty much none) and I haven't found out yet how to start IE default without the metro (so I pinned it to the task bar). It really isn't that bad as everyone described.

edit: forgot this topic was old :P

Edited by rolf

@^^: I still get 100/100Mbit by internet at home, about 800/400Mbit at uni and the full 900/900Mbit at home to my server. Network is not a problem. Ping is pretty much equal from my server to 8.8.4.4, about 7.5ms average. I've had a couple of crashes too though, but only on both Opera and IE10 (and Firefox, basically all browsers I've tried the last decade). All other crashes I had were when I had corrupted memory.

The full-screen menu is different than one might expect, but actually works just as good if not better. Press Windows-button, start typing, hit enter. You want to do it with mouse-opnly and miss the start-button? Move your mouse to the left lower corner, where it always was (well, not entirely for me since I have startbar left, but still). Despite a few minor changes, it is exactly the same. Or at least in the way I use it.

To give an impression, I've been working with it full time (>40hrs/week, at home and at uni) for about 1.5months now. Disadvantages so-far? It won't connect to the printers at the uni (but did the printer at home about 2134 times easier). Default it opens pretty much everything default in the metro-style app (but that is 1 click to change per file-type, literally), I can't change the intensity of the task-bar in the way that I was used to (pretty much none) and I haven't found out yet how to start IE default without the metro (so I pinned it to the task bar). It really isn't that bad as everyone described.

edit: forgot this topic was old :P

sorry to bump old topic even more:

do you know by accident how win 8 works on 2-3 monitors. Last time I had win 8 installed it was a mess (at least here it was), curious if the changed some stuff around.

and still not happy with fullscreen menu :s

Exactly the same as in Windows 7. But I wasn't too happy about that in Windows 7 yet (especially with >5 different configurations and 1-2-3 monitors), so I use DisplayFusion for that :) That also works in Windows 8 quite nice, I expect the newer version to have a few more features, but it's not freeware. Then again, when you use that many monitors you don't want to configure everything by hand every time you (re-)connect a monitor.

Exactly the same as in Windows 7. But I wasn't too happy about that in Windows 7 yet (especially with >5 different configurations and 1-2-3 monitors), so I use DisplayFusion for that :) That also works in Windows 8 quite nice, I expect the newer version to have a few more features, but it's not freeware. Then again, when you use that many monitors you don't want to configure everything by hand every time you (re-)connect a monitor.

Ty for the info, think I'm going to install win8 again to test some stuff.

and well software doesn't have to be freeware (checked displayfusion and that's only 25dollar one time payment)

Edited by DrJoske

I have paid for DisplayFusion indeed after the 30days trial. It's less expensive than my keyboard, which would have been destroyed about 6 times without DisplayFusion.