Midnight

http://news.yahoo.com/fish-oil-fail--omega-3s-may-not-protect-brain-health-after-all.html

This was an interesting read. Last semester I took a pharmacology class regarding abused drugs and we discussed omega 3 fatty acids. I like how they say that the previous data regarding omega 3 and its function with the mind was mainly observational. It would be unethical to physically study the participants, unless of course someone wants to be connected to wires, tubes and such. Also I would like to know what there base number of participants were, was it a double-blind study and the variables that they couldn't possibly control for. Other supplements will interact with omega-3 and change the compostion. Plus if taken with a higher ph substance, the omega 3 loses it lipid solubility. Just my thoughts.

http://news.yahoo.co...-after-all.html

This was an interesting read. Last semester I took a pharmacology class regarding abused drugs and we discussed omega 3 fatty acids. I like how they say that the previous data regarding omega 3 and its function with the mind was mainly observational. It would be unethical to physically study the participants, unless of course someone wants to be connected to wires, tubes and such. Also I would like to know what there base number of participants were, was it a double-blind study and the variables that they couldn't possibly control for. Other supplements will interact with omega-3 and change the compostion. Plus if taken with a higher ph substance, the omega 3 loses it lipid solubility. Just my thoughts.

could you please elaborate a bit more on why studying participants would be unethical? Any Study that is conducted by a university has to go through a review board to ensure that it complies with ethical and legal standards. Believe me, they are not a cakewalk to get through. I had them once change a few words on the description of a study I was conducting because they felt that it was misleading. Fair Enough, that is what they are there for. To make sure I, as a researcher, and the university do not get sued into oblivion.

I also dont think hooking people up to sensors is really a big deal either. Measuring cognitive activity can be done with relatively minimally invasive techniques, such as EEGs, FMRIs, or test batteries (eg. WAIS-II, memory tests, etc...)