How to install ET on a 64-bit Ubuntu/Mint distro - Enemy Territory

parrot

Normally, if you want to run ET natively on linux, choose a 32 bit distro and follow the excellent tutorial already posted. In my case however, I had a computer with 16 Gb of ram, and so that wasn't an option. On to the steps.

1. Back up.

You have a couple of options; backup the entire ET folder to a jump drive or external hd, or just back up the following files:

etkey (you should already have this backed up)

autoexec.cfg (if you use one)

silent.dat (if you play on that mod. This file stores your xp AND level on silent servers)

2. Install your distro. (I used 64 bit Linux Mint 13, cinnamon)

3. Write the following in the terminal:

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

(This installs 32 bit emulation support)

***If this generates an error message, jump down to the end for a probable solution***

4. Download et-linux-2.60.x86.run from the interwebs

5. Type the following into console:

cd /Downloads
*if you didn't download into that folder, substitute the correct path*

sudo chmod +x et-linux-2.60.x86.run
*allows you to execute the file*

sudo linux32 ./et-linux-2.60.x86.run
*runs the install in 32 bit emulation, as root*

You should now be led through the steps by the installer.

*Important* Even though PB is no longer supported, make sure you install it!! Otherwise your backed up etkey is useless.

When asked if you want to run it now, decline (not a good idea to run as root, there are some security issues)

6. Now copy your backed up files to etmain located at /home/(username)/.etwolf

You will have to hit ctrl+h to show the hidden files in your home directory.

7. Try running ET by typing the following into the console:

linux32 et
*without the linux32 part, very odd and unpleasant things happen*

8. To fix the sound, I did this:

1. I have downloaded this script: http://nullkey.ath.cx/~stuff/et-sd [...] -sound.gz. (Alternative mirror: http://members.lycos.co.uk/lordban [...] l-sound.gz )2. The script was not working from scratch. I have had to edit it manually. First locate where your Wolfenstein installation directory is (via locating et.x86 file. The dir/folder where the file is, is your installation dir. In my case it was /usr/local/games/enemy-territory )3. Now open downloaded script wolfsp-sdl-sound file with text editor (on my Mandriva I just used KWrite, but for other distro just use default one)4. At the beginning of the file you will find disabled grey text/comment. There will be such a text (search for it): "# You can set this in GAME_PATH environment variable" and just underneath the text there will be the variable called GAME_PATH="".5. Remove the hash (#) from before the GAME_PATH variable. The text may become colorful as it is no longer disabled comment.6. Now type in your full path to Wolfenstein installation dir between inverted comas. In my case it looked like this: GAME_PATH="/usr/local/games/enemy-territory". It is like this by defauld, so you may just use it, if you haven't change installation dir.7. Now go down the file, and locate another variables which are GAME_BIN and GAME_DIR.8. Change value of GAME_BIN to GAME_BIN='et.x86'9. Change value of GAME_DIR to your Wolfenstein installation dir only (not a path!). In my case it was: GAME_DIR='enemy-territory'. It's default folder (directory/catalog whatever you call it...) so if you haven't change it during installation, use that one.10. That's it!11. Now drag and drop your edited "wolfsp-sdl-sound" file into the console window and execute it by pressing ENTER. Voila! The Wolfenstein is running with SOUND now!12. [applause]
[color=#000000][font=Ubuntu]I did have to write "linux32" without quotes before dragging and dropping the script into the terminal (linux32 '/home/Downloads/wolfsp-sdl-sound')[/font][/color]
You can now create a shell script that will do handle launching ET without writing a whole bunch of crap in the console.

create a file called ET in your home folder, and write the following inside it:

#!/bin/bashclearlinux32 /home/[insert username here]/Downloads/wolfsp-sdl-sound
Now in console type

sudo chmod 777 ET
Now, in order to play et, open the console and type

./ET
This will launch the game with sound enabled.

**newly added**

I was experiencing a delay in the sound of about half a second, which was very annoying. Found the following fix online:

• Create a new file /home/yourusername/.pulse/client.conf with one single line:

Code:

autospawn = no

• Kill PulseAudio with the command pulseaudio -k
Try it if you have the same issue.

Yes this is a giant chore, but as long as it works http://fearless-assa...O_DIR#/wink.png

Any questions or problems, feel free to hit me up on xfire (you will need to install gfire plugin for pidgin to use xfire on linux)

Added 4-16-2013

For later versions of Linux like Debian Wheezy, an alternate method may be required.

If you get error messages when you try to install ia32-libs, follow these steps:

In terminal, with root permissions

dpkg --add-architecture i386
apt-get update
apt-get install ia32-libs
wget -q -O - http://nullkey.kapsi.fi/et-sdl-sound/et-sdl-sound.gz | gzip -d > et-sdl-sound && chmod a+x et-sdl-sound
This should take care of everything at one fell swoop. Run et-sdl-sound to start ET. Edited by Fearless Staff

• 4 months later...

For anyone upgrading to Mint 14, you might need to do the following fix before being able to install ia32-libs.

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

sudo apt-get update

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I get error at installt (Ubuntu x64)

sudo linux32 ./et-linux-2.60.x86.run

Verifying archive integrity... All good.

Uncompressing Enemy Territory 2.60 Full Install..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

./setup.sh: 191: ./setup.sh: /home/kwisi/.setup11070: not found

kwisi@ubuntu:~/Arbeitsfläche$

• 7 years later...