Old virus hides items from me

friend of mine had a similar malware hit his computer. It took everything and moved it to some folders and hide them.

are you or were you missing your start menu items also?

I would recomend trying a program called Unhide, information can be found HERE

and if you want to DL the program directly you can do it HERE

second thing, what did you do to remove the initial problem, is it possible the malware is still lurking on your computer?

• Like 1

Does this sound similar to the issue your having Death?

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/42026-63-documents-shortcuts-gone

If you have any luck recovering your files, I would highly recommend you take Tulsa's advice and reformat that drive pronto. It's likely beyond the point where you can %100 say an antivirus can fix it. I think at this point, taking an afternoon and a six pack (12 pack if it's coors light) and reformatting the drive would be the way to go.

friend of mine had a similar malware hit his computer. It took everything and moved it to some folders and hide them.

are you or were you missing your start menu items also?

I would recomend trying a program called Unhide, information can be found HERE

and if you want to DL the program directly you can do it HERE

second thing, what did you do to remove the initial problem, is it possible the malware is still lurking on your computer?

Yes thats exactly what happened!

Its possible its still there. If i remember correctly i kept coming to a blank black screen with a blinking cursor in top left corner and thats it. I had to search my problem online with my phone. Some forum somewhere told me to try and use the F8 method while rebooting andrun safe-mode to get online and run the malware software. It ended up working but i lost a bunch of crap and yes hit the nail on the head with startup menu stuff as well

I would DEFINITELY reinstall your operating system. Who knows what is still on there, but not detectable. Back up your data.

This sounds good but i have a few problemos... 1: i have no backup cds and nothing came with the computer it was a refurb but at a swapmeet. Good laptop all the same before this happened though.

And 2: if i backup my computer will it add the items that are hidden? I cant say ive ever really done a backup and restore. Probably cause im an idiot lol. I shouldve but i didnt.

3: do i need a backup cd to reinstall my OS?

I could use some recommendations on all this. I have vista now. I just fear that i will format it and screw everything up somehow. And end up with a blank piece of crap. Just never done it before.

Oh and one more thing can i use an external hard drive to back up? And if i do will the malware travel with my backed up files? Since its a mysterythat it may still be crammed in somewhere?

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ferretpaint you're my f@#king HERO dude!!!! You don't even know seriously, I had music on here that cannot be replaced alot of old recordings I did with many different bands. I owe you man. I really do. And my pics!!! Ahhhhhh!!!!!!!!! LOL

I dunno where you live. But I have a farm here. I will mail you a dried herb pack for cooking you can use or give to your mom lol!!! I gots all kinds of good stuff!

not a problem, if it ever happens again just make sure you dont delete or remove any temp files, since thats where the malware sends them.

also if you havent used it yet, Malware-bytes is a very good program to run every week or two, to make sure you are mostly clean

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

just make sure to get the free one, it provides basically the same as the paid