considering buying extra graphics

Jefke

Atm I got an sapphire HD radeon 6850 1gb toxic

This grapphics is around a year old or so and today I saw that this graphics cost 166 euro anymore...

So I was thinking : bf3 will soon be released and some extra graphics power can't be wrong and I always wanted to try crossfire.

But dunno for sure if it's worth to buy a second one of this grapphics.

Or should I just wait a couple of months and buy a brand new higher graphics....

Really in doubt, so I want to check your opinion

This card is actually very nice, one of the higher end cards.....What is your mobo? we must first know if your mobo can do Crossfire/CFX.

And what is your CPU, RAM (speed/type/amount) and current HDD storage Also, are u running Win7 or Vista or XP

hope i can help once you know a little more!

• Like 1

This card is actually very nice, one of the higher end cards.....What is your mobo? we must first know if your mobo can do Crossfire/CFX.

And what is your CPU, RAM (speed/type/amount) and current HDD storage Also, are u running Win7 or Vista or XP

hope i can help once you know a little more!

Yeah always forget to put specs of pc ^^

mobo: asus crosshair formula V am3+ socket (waiting for fx cpu's)

cpu (atm): amd phenom II x6 1090t @ 3.2ghz

ram: g.skill ripjaws x 16 gig 1666 (I know overkill but it was cheaper then the 8 gig ones I wanted to buy ^^)

Hdd:Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB (has to be replaced soon, starts to big a dickhead)

btw: I don't really have to upgrade my graphics, but because of the relative low place I was wondering if it would boost my pc even more in a usefull way (bf 3 you know ^^)

Id suggest, if you upgrade HDD, to grab a 6GBs 7200RPM HDD :)

Yeah I was planning to do something like that (in combo with my ssd that soon will arrive => I won an ocz Agility 3 60gb)

anyway ty for giving your opinion

I dont think it will gain any extra perf on et playing, maybe some more modern game it may give extra.

Masa_1964

I know but with bf3 coming and stuff like that (atm I don't really play much et )

Yeah X-fire that bad boy ... you've got the MoBo for it, hell you could 3-way CrossfireX /or SLI there ... very nice Motherboard btw, I'm a fellow Asus ROG MoBo owner. rog_logo.png

I just picked up the newer Sapphire HD-6950 TOXIC 2gb ... great card, and was able to UNLOCK mine to a 6970 :yahoo ... but TWO of the HD-6850 1gb Toxic's should be Killer as well, too bad it's not a 2gb card though, that's the only negative I can think of, but If you're only playing on ONE screen say a 22-24" monitor you should be golden for BF3 ! B)

IF however you play at a higher resolution than that, or try the AMD Eyefinity Multi-Monitor set-up then I'd have to say UPGRADE when the AMD 7xxx series comes out in a couple months, and be SURE to get a 2gb card at a minimum ... but worst case you could X-fire now see how you like it, and if you want to UPGRADE to the 7xxx series later sell the 2 cards and buy new, you shouldn't lose out much the 6950's will still retain a decent resale value.

EDIT: actually just looked in the Showcase Forum to see you're running 2x Medion MD 20122 (22 inch) Monitors, Hrmmmmmmmmm, this actually changes my recommendation. You need more VRAM than just the 1gb you'll get, and unfortunately it doesn't add together when you crossfireX or SLI cards together. MY HONEST suggestion now, WAIT for the 7xxx series they should be out by November or December at the latest, BF3 comes out at the end of October, so you won't be the FIRST to play the game on new hardware, but at least you'll know exactly what the system requirements/recommendations are, rather than just guessing like most of us are right now, and then SELL that HD-6850 1gb Toxic and X-fire something like a pair of 7950's or 7970's and WOW that should blow the doors off BF3.

And if you need a new HDD, the Samsung Spinpoint F3's are still the Best Bang for Buck option, but the Western DIgital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX or the 1.5 to 3 TB drives are the BEST as for as TOP PERFORMANCE HDD's still. B) The OCZ SSD is nice especially for FREE if you win it :), but should you need to BUY a SSD I'd suggest looking into the Crucial M4 or C300 series, or the Intel 320 or 510 series SSd's they're the least reported problems with these, ALL the other 'SandForce' controller SSD's have had some big time issues, firmware problems, and even massive recalls. So be warned about that with the OCZ SSD.

EDIT: actually just looked in the Showcase Forum to see you're running 2x Medion MD 20122 (22 inch) Monitors, Hrmmmmmmmmm, this actually changes my recommendation. You need more VRAM than just the 1gb you'll get, and unfortunately it doesn't add together when you crossfireX or SLI cards together. MY HONEST suggestion now, WAIT for the 7xxx series they should be out by November or December at the latest, BF3 comes out at the end of October, so you won't be the FIRST to play the game on new hardware, but at least you'll know exactly what the system requirements/recommendations are, rather than just guessing like most of us are right now, and then SELL that HD-6850 1gb Toxic and X-fire something like a pair of 7950's or 7970's and WOW that should blow the doors off BF3.

That topic is old don't have those monitors anymore (could sell at a great price and buy better once ^^) , but I still use 2x 23 inch monitors (samsung dunno the typ anymore => on other pc atm ^^). Anyway I'm only using 1 screen to game on (on the other one forums or so are open, but that's it)

But I will probably wait for the 7xxx series (in december is my birthday so then I got the money for it ^^)