Help me I am a noob!

killyounow

Just got COD4, it starts up fine, but while I am playing my screen will go blank once and a while for about 5 seconds, then come back on and resume where I left off. Anyone know how to fix this, or maybe my system is too crappy? I tried your link hell and it syas my video card barely passes the requirements to play this game. Is that he problem? Oh and when i close out of COD4 there is an exclamation mark in my taskbar saying that my video card crashed and recovered.

My system is:

Dell Dimension DCX061

Intel ® core 2 CPU 1.86Ghz 1.86Ghz

2.00 GB ram

Radeon X1300 video card

Windows Vista 32 bit

I want to upgrade the video card, but I have a Del xps210 which is a very slim case, so I don't know what a good card is that will fit in this slim piece of shite.

Any help would be appreciated!

Drivers are up to date, I don't have a thermometer on my comp, so I guess i can't check the temp? "And the exact error message in my taskbar says the display driver stopped responding and recovered", this also happens when I rund the desktop and game at 800 X 600 :mad

• Administrators

Update directX, .net and drivers. You can upgrade your card since its x1300 to any same series card mostly x1950 or if you make sure to even HD series.

Check this:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=149164

• Administrators

Check this one:

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview. ... adid=90616

Whats you hard drive space remaining?

In short 128 Mb graphics card should work fine. if my laptop can handle cod4 with 64Mb dedicated and 768Mb shared memory 128Mb should be fine imo.

Hmmm

Thanks for that post, my hard drive is 200gb, I have 150gb free space so I don't think thats the problem. I have tried the windows graphic driver as well as the most recent graphic driver for my video card and its the same problem. I also played at the lowest resolution possible and I still get hat same error. I am leaning towards the temperature of the video card because this is an xps 210 slim case, its super thin, god knows why I bought it in the 1st place. I am actually thinking about either getting a new case for it, or a new system all together, but that would be in a couple months.

I guess I was meant to be on ET only, until I get a fix thats all i can play!

• Administrators
Well I fixed the stupid proble, I had to downloads the ati tool and then underclock my video card core and mem. The problem is gone, but is that a bad thing to do?

No. You saving up power and heat LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

Dell Dimension DCX061

Intel ® core 2 CPU 1.86Ghz 1.86Ghz

2.00 GB ram

Radeon X1300 video card

Windows Vista 32 bit

In my opinion, I'd start saving up for a new machine. Looking at your specs, I'd only use that sort of machine for school work or older games. If you want to play cod on full res and not have issues, you'll probably want more processing power. Cooling is important for fast machines, and putting a huge card in a tiny case isn't gonna help you with ventilation. I'd wait for a new one if you could =].

I'd recommend something like this if possible:

Nvidia 8800

Intel Core 2 Quad @ 2.4ghz

6.0GB ram

64 bit Windows 7