Lag, loss of sound

abnerdog

I went out of town for a week and when I came back I tried to play COD4 HC no marty and I now lag so much I can not play. Also went I get on I loose all sound. When I try to log off it freezes my computer up and I have to restart it to get back to desk top. Can anybody help. I miss my playing and my friends. Thanks

Is it a tower or a laptop? how long can you play before it locks up? Could be your sound drivers, try updating your drivers and see if that helps or completely reinstalling them with the most current version might be another option. Do the same for your video drivers, does your video card have it's own cooling fan? Clean out your temp internet files and defrag your hard drive as well. Personally i can't see it overheating unless your fan stopped working or your power supply is ready to give up. Go online and download memtest and check your memory for errors as well if the other options don't work. Get a can of compressed air and try to blow the dust out of your fan on your cpu the fins tend to accumulate dust and it won't cool the cpu as well, don't blow it in because you will only lodge it in deeper which could cause more problems.

Let me know how you make out Abner.

Is it a tower or a laptop? how long can you play before it locks up? Could be your sound drivers, try updating your drivers and see if that helps or completely reinstalling them with the most current version might be another option. Do the same for your video drivers, does your video card have it's own cooling fan? Clean out your temp internet files and defrag your hard drive as well. Personally i can't see it overheating unless your fan stopped working or your power supply is ready to give up. Go online and download memtest and check your memory for errors as well if the other options don't work. Get a can of compressed air and try to blow the dust out of your fan on your cpu the fins tend to accumulate dust and it won't cool the cpu as well, don't blow it in because you will only lodge it in deeper which could cause more problems.

Let me know how you make out Abner.

It is a tower. I have never had a lag problem before. Sound works fine for everything else. I did notice that my high temp warning is going off for just normal use where it only went off the first few minutes of playing cod4. I can play cod4 for maybe 2-3 minutes before the lag starts. then when I go to log off and hit yes it freezes my computer completely and I have to go to task manager to unlock it. I am going to do a driver update today and see if that helps. We have had record breaking high temps here and it is going to go back to normal in a few days. Thanks for you help Farge.

It is a tower. I have never had a lag problem before. Sound works fine for everything else. I did notice that my high temp warning is going off for just normal use where it only went off the first few minutes of playing cod4. I can play cod4 for maybe 2-3 minutes before the lag starts. then when I go to log off and hit yes it freezes my computer completely and I have to go to task manager to unlock it. I am going to do a driver update today and see if that helps. We have had record breaking high temps here and it is going to go back to normal in a few days. Thanks for you help Farge.

Check your fan Abner.

All fans are working. Did everything else too and still same problem. I can not even spec a game because the lag is so bad. I have a good friend who works on all my computers and I have a call out to him. I just hate taking everything apart to go to his house. My step daughter was on my computer while I was away and I hope she did not get into something she should not have. Well I hope to have it fixed by the weekend. Thanks for the help Farge.

There could be damage to the video card, cpu or motherboard, I'll refer to my old laptop again. When i took it in for the same issue, they told me a week later the motherboard got too hot, causing it to become corrupt which was making the rest of the computer to overheat. If your tower is still open look for burnt or slightly melted parts.

My sound card was too close to my video card causing it to overheat. I switched the cards around so the video card's fan could vent. Problem solved. Some how my speaker config was screwed up causing my loss of sound. Thanks for all your help!!

My sound card was too close to my video card causing it to overheat. I switched the cards around so the video card's fan could vent. Problem solved. Some how my speaker config was screwed up causing my loss of sound. Thanks for all your help!!

Glad to hear it's working again.:)