laptop

abnerdog

Hey I need some help. My wifes laptop quit and I took it to a repair shop and they said it wasn't worth fixing. Its probably 7yrs old. I agree with that but what I need help on is what to buy her. She is only going to use it for internet and word processing. She is not a gamer so that is not an issue. I do not know much about laptops and any help you can give would be great. Thanks

i got an asus ul80j.

run it with windows 7 enterprise with xp mode enabled 90% of the time and dual bootable with Ubuntu 11.4.

it's around 500 bucks, but has an i3 processor, 4gb ddr3 ram, dvd player, little media card thingy (i use encfs for that, so my 16gb external and swap is 100% encrypted; yes i'm paranoid.)

it's a bad ass little laptop. kinda cheaply made, light plastic and such, but has a good enough graphics card to play cod4 on out of box, which is all i care to have in a windows environment. you will want a little lap holder thing that has fans in it to put the laptop on while you use. these i(x)'s run a LOT hotter than the quad/dual cores. a cool system is a happy system.

it will do anything you want it to, and won't cost an arm and a leg. comes with a 500gb hdd.

upon further investigation; "...She is only going to use it for internet and word processing. She is not a gamer so that is not an issue."

lol, then in that case i am not sure. my bad. the ul80j would likely be overkill, but how is the price for functionality? at all what you had in mind?

Toshiba's cost a little more, but the quality is much more comfortable (Not a cheap keyboard like on my Acer and Hp)

I suggest just walking into a store, find a laptop that she finds easy to use.

This Toshiba's on sale, looks like good quality but Cpu is slower (1.6ghz dual)

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/toshiba-toshiba-satellite-15-6-laptop-featuring-amd-processor-e350-c650d-007-black-c650d-007/10161730.aspx?path=d4860e655368a733b4acaf1d62ce6045en02