BSOD problems

milli vanilli

mmk, this machine is barely a month old and already having problems. had a DOA 9500 gt GPU so i installed the onboard, amd 4200 HD. ran COD4 fine. however, just surfing the web and alt + tab from facebook to here i got a BSOD for atidvag getting stuck in an infinate loop. all i'm finding online says update drivers. well, they are updated, lol. any one have any ideas?

Try going in the opposite direction for the drivers. Try the previous version instead, there might be a compatibility issue with the latest drivers and some of your hardware, or it was installed incorrectly. Completely uninstall your current Catalyst software suite, and any nVidia software that might be left over, and try installing the next to latest version of the Catalyst Software suite with Parallel Processing for your operating system (32 or 64 bit).

You're running fairly nice hardware on fairly crappy OS instructions. If you can, get a 64bit operating system, the easiest to grab would probably be Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade for around 120 USD.

Windows XP does not have the insides to handle your hardware. Right now, you've got a really nice sports car being driven by a blind old man. Time to upgrade your OS.

That's a huge bummer. You could still go for the Home Upgrade pack for 3 PCs, it's 150 USD typically, should be 129 USD at Staples in the US. If you can find two other people that need Windows 7, you can each go in for about 50 bucks each to get it.

That's a huge bummer. You could still go for the Home Upgrade pack for 3 PCs, it's 150 USD typically, should be 129 USD at Staples in the US. If you can find two other people that need Windows 7, you can each go in for about 50 bucks each to get it.

found a way around it...sending my DOA 9500 gt back and getting a refund, and getting OEM 7 64bit home for only $5 more. so its only costing me 5 for 7.

stupid question to go with it tho...when i reformat my HDD, will i have new GUID's for my games, or will i have the same one after i reinstall them? can i save my profiles to cd and load them from there, or won't that work since its going from xp to 7?

found a way around it...sending my DOA 9500 gt back and getting a refund, and getting OEM 7 64bit home for only $5 more. so its only costing me 5 for 7.

stupid question to go with it tho...when i reformat my HDD, will i have new GUID's for my games, or will i have the same one after i reinstall them? can i save my profiles to cd and load them from there, or won't that work since its going from xp to 7?

Not sure about COD4, but same profile should work on both OS I suppose. For ET I have the same installation that survived 2 OS changes (from XP to Win7 and back, including the reformat, but I backed up important stuff on another HDD) and 2 motherboard changes, and it worked on all of them. But you only need etkey to keep the same admin and GUID in ET. For other games depends where profile info is saved but burning them to CD/backing ithem up on USB/ emailing them if they aren't too large to yourself should do the trick.

You can use the Windows 7 Easy Transfer wizard on the CD to make a complete backup of all your files, documents, and some programs. Just make sure you copy your game installs and your entire Documents and Settings folder to make sure you keep all your original GUIDs and install keys.

But the worst you'll lose if you don't keep them is your XP, admin levels, and unlocks for games like COD.

If you use the Transfer wizard, make sure you use the one for Windows 7 and not the built in one for Windows XP. Windows 7 cannot open the File and Settings Transfer wizard backup files; I learned this the hard way with my wife's laptop. However, it did still keep a copy in Windows.old and I still can open the backup on another Windows XP system.