Help for better Gaming

Timberwolf

Welcome to 2011 Buy now almost everyone has a Laptop or desktop computer Some have Top of the line gamming computers with all the bells and whisles others have to crank the wheel to get the mouse to run the Cpu

So that being said Here are some of the things you can buy to improve your computer Remember i have no clue which computer you own or use Make sure you know what type of CPU GPU RAM Motherboard and what will work on it

#1 Ram . Ram memory is always a good thing to have. The more you have sometimes helps you with Lag on a game ..Having 512Mb ram is a bad thing Min you should have now adays is 2 Gig / 4 Gigs of ram A normal Avg is 4 to 6 Gigs of ram

There is DDR2 DDR3 LAPTOP DDR Single channel, Dual channel, Triple Chanel (Triple-channel can only be achieved on supporting motherboards and processors supporting it, since it is the motherboards and processors that implement the feature, not the RAM.) AMD does Not ! support Triple channel or most intel other then the i-7 You also have MHz to look into 400 MHz isn't bad but say : 2Gb PC2-6400 DDR2-800 dual channel kit for high performance and overclocking. would be a good choice if your computer supports only DDR2 ram And would be a cheap upgrade and eazy to install.

#2 Hardrive The normal now is Sata hardrives Pata is the older type you would find on a P3 or P4 (2003 2004 era) Sata has Round wires connected to it. Where Pata has the " flat" ribbon type wires

You can buy external harddrives and internal Harddrive ( HD) for short a good Harddrive will speed up your computer time clicking on items is qucker and load time faster having a low storage HD slows some times frezzes a computer I Avg computer ( Desktop ) should have a 500GB HD @ 7200 Rpm you can buy them at 2.5 TB (Terra bytes) ( Kilobyte> Meagbyte> GigaBytes>Terrabytes) and with difrrent speeds @10,000RPM which is faster ..But remember your buying a blank HD theres no windows on it none of your old pictures or programs you have to reinstall everything But for $90 USD its a good investment Caviar (BLACK) by western Digtal I find is the top of the line in not breaking down or failing Green and blue not so good ..i had 1 Blue HD that crashed after 6 months use

#3 is Tied for Video card and The central processing unit (CPU ) There's 2 types Intell and AMD with those you have Single core, Dual core, Triple core, Quad core. Six core, i-3 i-5 i-7 for intell

If your running a single core processer you by now need a min dual core to run newer games and multi program platforms and is another good cheap way to spped up your computer (However !!!! ) Make sure your motherboard supports CPU's with Multi processing and Intell or AMD Putting a Intell i-5 on a AMD supported motherboard will not work ..or a six core on a Dual core/Quad core supported Motherboard

Videocard : Having a video card when running Games or watching videos is great It increases your FPS ( Frames per second ) Thus you don't get choppy video with frezzing at start or half way in a movie And you can play or watch with Higher grafix and bigger screen settings Depending on your Video card And game and your computer I.E. ram, CPU, and if you downloaded the movie your HD

2 major makers are ATI and Nivida Geforce I find Nivida has cheaper costing Video cards However ATI better proformance and options Such as running 3 screens etc ..You will need to know if your computer supports a video card and what type ( PCI or PCI-E ) PCI-e <(Express) Also Low profile for Laptops. Normal size will not fit a Laptop A low to medium card is about $100USD and up ..you can get older cards That are still better the no card or a Inturnal motherboard video card for around $ 60 to 80 USD And yes again you need to know if its DDR2 DDR3 DDR5 because it as well carrys Memory ram some are 512Mb and some are 1Gig for video grafix

If you plan on doing all these things ..You should just start with a New mother board and build a new system Think about who you want to go with Intell or AMD because you will buy items that only fit one or the other. Another BIG item if you plan on starting from the beginning is a Power supply Do not go cheap on this ..Cheap power supplys have been know to catch fire and burn down houses. My suggestion would be a corsair power supply ..Mainly because of the safety features Auto shut off at high temps and Surge protection And with all the upgrades you will need more power you can get up to 1200watts but thats extrerme Gaming Computers ..500W to 600W is a nice area to be in .

For all you that do not know everything about whats in your computer There is a Free program called Speccy By Piriform Ltd ( Google it ) And theres no virse on it Its a legit website That will show you All your info on Ram Cpu Motherboard Videocard HD and so much more in detail + the temps your computer is running at ..Good thing to have if you want to know what to buy or ask what you need

Hope it helps ..I wrote this cause im tired of you noobs telling me Lag! when your computer is 11 years old lol Enjoy

Timber

Wow dude thx alot.

I had always one question about upgrading our pc, 'cause i always see tutorials about how to instal hardware on desktops and none about on lapto. Maybe it's all about the same (haha) but i'm just a dumb with this so :lol:

If you have an actual graphics card on your laptop you may be able to run overclocking software or even take it out and replace it for a faster one. Check if you have any drivers for it in your Device Manager, it's easier than opening the case lol.

Most laptops are deliberately underclocked (slowed down) to save battery life and prevent overheating. So, you can overclock them and get 50% more performance without much effort.

Celeron processors are specially underclocked for laptop use and are very common.

Use ATITool for ATI cards or Rivatuner for NVIDEA cards. Both are free and can be easily found.

Most laptops keep their BIOS CPU multipliers locked or deeply hidden to prevent users like you from screwing it up, but if you google your make and model with the word overclock you can find info specific for your model.

Try not to catch your laptop on fire. It happens sometimes. You can get a laptop cooling pad to help dissipate heat.

Cheers.