Total solar eclipse April 2024: 10 of the biggest cities within in the path of totality.

LazyHippo

It may occur only from within a path 115 miles (185 kilometers) wide and 10,000 miles (16,000 km) long, but the total solar eclipse on April 8, 2024, will be one of the most urban eclipses for decades.

"The total eclipse of the sun next April 8 will envelop many millions of people," Michael Zeiler, eclipse cartographer at GreatAmericanEclipse.com, told Space.com in an email. "31 million people already live inside the path within the U.S., and when you add the millions more Mexicans and Canadians in the path, plus the visitors who come to see totality, between 40 and 50 million people will witness the total solar eclipse."

From Mazatlán and Torreón in Mexico via big cities in Texas, Indianapolis and Montreal in Canada, millions of city-dwellers across North America will witness totality from a city. About 10 million will be in just 10 cities, each with populations above 500,000.

Montreal is right on the northern edge of the path of totality. The North Shore and even Laval must be avoided, with only the southern half of Île de Montréal within the path of totality. Totality will last longest close to the St. Lawrence River and peak at about 2 minutes at the Île aux Hérons Migratory Bird Sanctuary. It's been cloudy in Montreal on April 8, about 69% of the time since 2000.

image.jpeg.95d61684372149b3b9faed1da3105331.jpeg

Plenty of cities will be in the path of totality on April 8, 2024.  (Image credit: Michael Zeiler/GreatAmericanEclipse.com)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's pretty amazing to grasp !
So much people able to see this, I will look up if I will have the chance to witness it in my country ! 

If some of you are able to observe the phenomenon, please, do not forget to prepare accordingly and protect your eyes PROPERLY.

Here, little help from people that will know wayyyyyyy better than me about that !
https://science.nasa.gov/eclipses/safety/

o7

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1