Apollonius

Bloodborne is brutal. Being my first Soulslike game, the gameplay strategy is something I've never encountered before. Even though it's Soulslike, it stands apart on its own, as described by folks who've tunneled through both Bloodborne and the Dark Souls series.

One thing that I had to accept early on is that I will die. I will die countless times with nothing visually comprehensible to show for it, tugged back to square one.

The interesting mechanisms and nuances of the game make the brutality of it a uniquely enjoyable experience. While roaming the apocalyptic Gothic world of Yharnam, with my acoustics being overwhelmed by the sick and ominous sounds coming from all around, I don't expect anything familiar, despite the fact that I'd already died 20 times and gone through the same passage that many times.

There's no "trivial" way to save progress so that you can continue from where you left off and finish off the rest of the enemies. However, there are shortcuts that you can take, but you have to find them first.

These two clips mainly show one of the special attacks the player can perform, given perfect timing and placement, and obviously, the guts to do so.

• Like 1

have never played a souls game until earlier this year when I got Elden Ring (finally finished my first walkthrough after maaany hours of frustration hahah)

Bloodborne is next on my list as I have come to really enjoys these souls games - when i first started I had no idea where to start or how to match up weapons with certain buffs and skills and all. The maps were so expansive, i had to follow a guide for many parts simply to make sure i didnt miss anything and be forced to circle back and redo hours of wandering. 

If/when i get bloodborne ill let ya know! I started my Elden Ring +1 walkthrough and simply crushing all the early level zones which is redeeming after dying so much a few months ago! 

• Love 1

@mraw435 Great to hear! You're in for a treat.

Elden Ring as I've heard is another masterpiece. You have to go your own way in a massive world, with little to no assistance from the game itself. I intend to play that as well, after I finish getting my ass properly kicked by Bloodborne obviously. 😆

People who say single-player games/campaign games are dead, surely have no idea what they're talking about, ignoring titles released by the likes of From Software, Rockstar Games, etc.

@Apollonius hahah that is so true - the game gave no direction, just gave me some character options and sent me off to die a few thousand times! I gravitate towards towards FPS 90% of the time but sometimes when I am not feeling that competitive edge - exploring these massive single player games is simply amazing! Came close to needing a new mouse and keyboard when stuck on a few bosses but overall a pretty peaceful/calm gaming experience ! lol 

@mraw435True!
I've been a consistent fan of the GTA series, and always wanted to play GTA V with good graphics; roaming the city, specially at night, with music in the background—is THE MOST CATHARTIC experience. 🥺