Problems with ETL on Arcolinux

-=HipKat=-

• Platinum VIP

I dropped Manjaro for reasons that aren't important. But I could install ETL easily on that OS.

Arcolinux is different. Thanks to the ETL Discord guys, I found out a few things, like downgrading SDL, but I used the AUR  and makepkg -s to compile the game, and it seems to all go through, leaving me with version etlegacy 2.80.2-1x86_64 and in the directory, aetlegacy-mod-2.80.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst and etlegacy-2.80.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst but when I try to install either package with yay -S, it says database already registered and I HAVE all the installed folders and files, but not everything. Running the game with etl gives me an error to copy pak0, pak1 and pak 2 to etmain, which does allow the game to load, and I can see servers and try to join.

After the maps, z-paks, etc download and it want to connect tot he server, I get this error:

VM_Create on cgame failed Make sure cgame.mp.x86_64.so exists in the mod's folder you're trying to run and that the mod is compatible with your platform

From here, I'm stuck

Edited by -=HipKat=-

What server are you trying to connect to? (I'm assuming Jay2)

It seems like you have compiled a 64-bit client that won't be compatible with jaymod which is only available in 32-bit (for a few more months at least).

From the ETLegacy README:

"Please remember that 64 bit ET: Legacy clients can only connect to servers running mods providing a 64 bit version. You will be able to play 32 bit-only mods only if you compile ET: Legacy on a 32 bit system or cross-compile it for 32 bit architecture on a 64 bit system."

Edited by the cake is a lie
  • Like 2

• Platinum VIP
17 minutes ago, the cake is a lie said:

What server are you trying to connect to? (I'm assuming Jay2)

It seems like you have compiled a 64-bit client that won't be compatible with jaymod which is only available in 32-bit (for a few more months at least).

From the ETLegacy README:

"Please remember that 64 bit ET: Legacy clients can only connect to servers running mods providing a 64 bit version. You will be able to play 32 bit-only mods only if you compile ET: Legacy on a 32 bit system or cross-compile it for 32 bit architecture on a 64 bit system."

That could be. that missing file is a 64 bit file??

I'll have to delete the dir's and redownload the 32 bit version

I found the "database already exists" error. I had a duplicate entry in pacman.conf.

Now though, I get this:

[hipkat@greg-Arco etlegacy]$ yay -S etlegacy-2.80.2-1-x86-64.pkg.tar.zst
 -> Could not find all required packages:
    etlegacy-2.80.2-1-x86-64.pkg.tar.zst (Target)
[hipkat@greg-Arco etlegacy]$ yay -S etlegacy-mod-2.80.2-1-x86-64.pkg.tar.zst
 -> Could not find all required packages:
    etlegacy-mod-2.80.2-1-x86-64.pkg.tar.zst (Target)
[hipkat@greg-Arco etlegacy]$ 

I wonder if I need to move those tar's to the directory where everything was extracted

Edited by -=HipKat=-

Yes, the 32-bit client is named cgame.mp.i386.so.

Is there a reason you need to compile it yourself instead of just downloading the 32-bit installer and setting your preferred SDL version with an environment variable when you run ETL?

• Platinum VIP
Just now, the cake is a lie said:

Yes, the 32-bit client is named cgame.mp.i386.so.

Is there a reason you need to compile it yourself instead of just downloading the 32-bit installer and setting your preferred SDL version with an environment variable when you run ETL?

Yeah, I'm still an Arch noob.

The installer is an .so file and I don't know nor can I find what to do with it. Downloading the .tar.gz does two things, mostly, teaches me how to use a tar to compile and install a program, and also, using the aur with yaurt. Most of this is till pretyt greek to me, but I'm moving further and further away from Windows - which is the endgame

I'm assuming you mean it was a .sh file? (etlegacy-v2.80.2-i386.sh)

To run it you first need to make it an executable:

$ chmod +x etlegacy-v2.80.2-i386.sh

Then run the installer and follow along with the instructions:

$ ./etlegacy-v2.80.2-i386.sh

You will still need to add 32-bit architecture support to your system if it isn't provided by default and probably install a few extra 32-bit libraries whether you use the installer or compile your own version.

(Also I know nothing about Arcolinux. I like Kubuntu.)

Edited by the cake is a lie
  • Like 3

• Platinum VIP
1 hour ago, the cake is a lie said:

You will still need to add 32-bit architecture support to your system if it isn't provided by default and probably install a few extra 32-bit libraries whether you use the installer or compile your own version.

(Also I know nothing about Arcolinux. I like Kubuntu.)

Yeah, Arch is different from what I knew with Ubuntu and Mint, but I'm used to the common things I need to do like updates, learning more command line.

• Platinum VIP
13 hours ago, the cake is a lie said:

OK, got it installed, no problem, but when I run it from the moment the game loads, it's is beyond laggy, as if it's eating all my RAM

• Platinum VIP
2 hours ago, the cake is a lie said:

Well, run top in the teminal or use whatever graphical system monitor Arcolinux provides and check if that is the case.

I will when I get back from my kid's school band performance. Also, it didn't add an entry in my installed programs.

• Platinum VIP

Oh yeah, 99% CPU usage. I might try reinstalling Arco again and doing this the right way

• Platinum VIP

@the cake is a lie

Reinstalled Arco - which fixed some issues from the first install, got ETL installed - no issues this time, but running the game still uses 99% CPU. 

I don't know where to go from here :(

Well, you're in somewhat uncharted territory here since no one else is probably using this particular distribution to play this particular game with this particular client so it's not surprising that "Here there be monsters".

Some general things you can try to help you isolate the source of your issue:

- Make sure you are running ETL without any custom configurations.

- Try disabling the compositor in your desktop environment.

- Run ETL on a single core (to keep your computer from locking up while debugging).

Put taskset --cpu-list 1 before the command you run to launch ET

- Reduce the FPS in ET dramatically to see if that frees up CPU cycles something like:

com_maxFPS 50

- Try running the non-graphical dedicated server just to see if that is also over-consuming resources.

$ cd [wherever your ETL is located]

$ ./etlded

What GPU do you have and what GPU driver and version are you using (MESA, Nvidia proprietary, etc)?

There are some desktop environments and GPUs that don't always play well together and you sometimes have to add extra instructions to the environment variables or at launch.

__GL_YIELD="USLEEP" is one such setting you should look to if your GPU is from Nvidia.

• Platinum VIP
30 minutes ago, the cake is a lie said:

Well, you're in somewhat uncharted territory here since no one else is probably using this particular distribution to play this particular game with this particular client so it's not surprising that "Here there be monsters".

Some general things you can try to help you isolate the source of your issue:

- Make sure you are running ETL without any custom configurations.

- Try disabling the compositor in your desktop environment.

- Run ETL on a single core (to keep your computer from locking up while debugging).

Put taskset --cpu-list 1 before the command you run to launch ET

- Reduce the FPS in ET dramatically to see if that frees up CPU cycles something like:

com_maxFPS 50

- Try running the non-graphical dedicated server just to see if that is also over-consuming resources.

$ cd [wherever your ETL is located]

$ ./etlded

What GPU do you have and what GPU driver and version are you using (MESA, Nvidia proprietary, etc)?

There are some desktop environments and GPUs that don't always play well together and you sometimes have to add extra instructions to the environment variables or at launch.

__GL_YIELD="USLEEP" is one such setting you should look to if your GPU is from Nvidia.

I'm off to Jury Duity :( so I'll do these when I get back and yeah, I know, I feel like I'm breaking new ground. The  Add Software in Manjaro was great. ETL shows up under games, it installs, as normal, everything. Both Arch-based distros, too.

My GPU is nvidia proprietary with the newest Linux-LTS Kernel

Appreciate your help, BTW, Cake

• Platinum VIP

Holy crap I got it installed, finally. There's an app called Discovery I found that came with Arco and I did a search for Wolfenstein. It came up with ETL, Blade of Agony and RTCW with a hot button to install each one. So that did it.