Question

Have a buddy who had his facebook page hacked. The hackers even sent a copy of a f***ed up email to his hotmail inbox. This allowed us to get the ip, and when compared to an ex gf's ip it was identical. She claims her comp got hacked and someone was sending this shit out on her ip. Is this possible?

• Administrators

Malaware / Troajan / Spywares, etc makes everything possible.

She could be lying also. Check her PC. If her PC is infected as she said, she should have traces in her anti virus scan logs if she has any. If no logs present, then prolly lies. If no antivirus is on machine, then install it and scan for it. If nothing is found, again lies.

Malaware / Troajan / Spywares, etc makes everything possible.

She could be lying also. Check her PC. If her PC is infected as she said, she should have traces in her anti virus scan logs if she has any. If no logs present, then prolly lies. If no antivirus is on machine, then install it and scan for it. If nothing is found, again lies.

but the kicker is, it can't be some random jackass living in his mothers basement, as it had to be someone on scene (ie he went home with a chick on Sat night and the hack knew about it). I think it has nutty ex gf written all over it.

I dont think so, cus you need the password to log in. I have never heard that someone could sent a email from hotmail or other emails just by knowing the ip.

ok lets try again. I open a new hotmail account. I happen to know your ip and want to pretend I am you. Now if I just send an email from that new hotmail account it will have the ip in the headers from wherever I happen to be logged in at (home,work,cafe,etc). Is there a way to fake the ip, meaning set the ip of where i am to an ip I know, like yours for instance?

ok lets try again. I open a new hotmail account. I happen to know your ip and want to pretend I am you. Now if I just send an email from that new hotmail account it will have the ip in the headers from wherever I happen to be logged in at (home,work,cafe,etc). Is there a way to fake the ip, meaning set the ip of where i am to an ip I know, like yours for instance?

I have sent you a PM. But after Google some mins, i think it could be possible.

PC A = Hacker's PC

PC B= ex GF's PC

PC C= your Buddy's PC

There is a way- lets say someone sends a trojan from PC A to target PC B. The trojan places a remote access/view tool on PC B. PC A then connects to PC B then using that PC hacks the account belonging to the owner of PC C. Because the computer actually doing the hacking is PC B the IP shows for PC B instead of the controlling PC- PC A.

That being said with all that work involved for such a small payoff it is more likely that she is lying.

If she is telling the truth tell your buddy he might want to think twice next time befire he laughs at that nerdy looking kid at the coffee shop.

Another possibility is IP spoofing software this can be used to change the IP packet atached to outgoing data.

Also if your buddy's ex uses AOL because of their extensive use of proxies it is possible for different PCs to have the same IP at different times. I have read articles where this has led to mistaken identities in crime investigations.

But lets face it I give it at least a 92.7% chance that she is guilty.