Do you have a DSi,DS or dsXL  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have one

• yes
    • no

I have DS lite. Its not too long when 3DS will come out, there are pretty good games on develop for it. :)

I got a DS lite too. Also I definitely won't be getting the 3DS (mainly because I barely even use any of my portable devices. Seems like a waste).

If there is one thing I learned so far, its that most of the time, I would barely play portable games because well.....why play on a small dinky screen when i can play some real games on my computer =).

• 2 months later...

Seriously? This is the first time I've seen this thread. I know Zippye's account is deactivated, however, I feel like I could brighten a great many DS player's day with some nice info! ^_^

Maybe even you my little Onion!

If you like playing your DS, or would at least like to play ANY games on your DS. Please read.

Anyways, to business. First let me address the issue of what games I have. Simply put, I have them ALL. Some 4,000-5,000 DS games! More and more get released daily/weekly. I have those too. Sometimes before they're even released in stores! :rolleyes:

You may be thinking to yourself: "God damn! I bet that cost a LOT of money!"

Well you are wrong! It may cost a grand total of... $30-$45. Come on. Think about it. Instead of buying that new thing you've been wanting, drop the 30-45 on a few pieces of equipment, and you will have your pick of any DS game ever released, whether it be in Japanese or German or.. any other European release. Of course it plays English releases as well.

You only need three things. The first two things you will need are a MicroSD card and a thumb drive or some other way of plugging it into your computer. I for instance have a little thumb drive that I can put the MicroSD card into, and I can plug the drive into a USB port. When combined, they are, for all intents and purposes, a portable hard drive. My laptop also has a regular sized SD slot in it as well. So I have a MicroSD to SD Converter I could use as well. A regular SD card basically looks like a big MicroSD card. SD cards are often used to store pictures in digital camera's. Some even use MicroSD cards in SD converters, just like I have here.

Hopefully you sorta grasp the concept of the MicroSD card and a way of hooking it up to your computer. Anyways, you need a MicroSD and either a MicroSD thumb drive to plug into your USB, or an SD port on your computer/laptop for a MicroSD to SD Converter.

Depending on the size of the MicroSD card you get, you can use a 500MB card... 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, 16GB.. I believe 32GB is out now. Hell I think maybe even 64GB cards are out. I just use a 4GB MicroSD card. It may seem small but it allows me to put upwards to 50 DS games onto it. The games range from 8MB to around the absolute largest, 300MB or so. There are very few games that large though. Most range from 32MB to 120MB.

Lastly, the final thing you will need is a little device known as a Flash Cart. What it is, is basically a little cartridge, the size of a DS game, that you will put the MicroSD card INTO to play the games you download. I use a card known as the AK2i, short for AceKard 2i. There are various cartridges you can buy. But a warning... there are many imitation cards being sold. These cards are known to be faulty, and the firmware (Operating System) that the original card's developers release, tend not to work right on the imitation cards. Many Flash Carts are just a hair's width too small sometimes too. So the games will randomly freeze because the Flast Cart loses connection. Meaning you have to shut off the game and restart your DS. Many people would say that the flash cart CycloDS is the best. That's debatable. However AK2i and CycloDS are probably the best two out right now. The CycloDS team have fallen behind in recent firmware releases because they're making a new cartridge I hear. Keeping your firmware up-to-date on your card is very important as well, it's the only way to crack the new anti-piracy coding in the new releases.

Also, the kind of Flash Cart you choose matters a pretty good deal. An AK2i is every bit as good as a CycloDS. Minus one key feature, save slots. I've never really messed with CycloDS but from what I understand, it works like most ROM emulators on the computer do. When playing a ROM (game), you can press a button to save a state outside of the game's knowledge. You could save in the middle of a fight for instance.. and resume it later on, when the game itself would only let you save at a save point or on the world map. I'm not entirely sure if that's how it works on there or not though. Purely speculation. The AK2i's newest update has incorporated the use of different save slots, but you choose the slot before you start the game. You can't really use it to cheat or save the game in a way that the game itself won't allow. Also, an AK2i plays just as many, or probably MORE games.. than the CycloDS does right now. The AK2i also only cost me about $15 at the beginning of last year. The CycloDS will cost you about $40-$50 by itself. That's on top of the $25-$30 for the MicroSD and the MicroSD USB drive.

If you choose an AK2i you won't be disappointed, I can assure you. That's pretty much all there is to it. Use scroogle.org's Scroogle Scraper, a search engine with Google's results but without Google logging your search or sending you it's tracking cookie. If you're not sure on anything, a quick search could change that. Just to cover the tracks though, let's go over it again. You will need a MicroSD card, a MicroSD USB thumb drive and a Flash Cart of your choosing. I strongly recommend the AceKard 2i. Keep in mind that if you have a laptop, you may very well already have an SD slot on your computer. I believe SD cards usually come with MicroSD to SD converters. Some do at least. Anyways, if you have one of those then you don't really NEED the Thumb Drive.

I could go on but, that's a decent chunk of information right there to read. If anyone's interested then respond in this thread. Just know that, technically this isn't illegal. By law you aren't supposed to keep the games (ROMs) for more than 24 hours though. But really, who's seriously going to find out? They don't even watch for this stuff. They definitely don't have the resources or a way of tracking this anyways. As far as I'm concerned though, any DS gamer who's got a tight wallet, or doesn't want to shell out the money for the games, should try this method. If you've ever picked up your DS and had any amount of fun playing it, I can guarantee this method of playing games will completely change your DS experience. I can watch movies on my DS if I felt like wasting the space on my MicroSD card. I could listen to music or read ebooks. It really opens up a ton of possibilities for DS users. But whatever you do, if you're interested, don't just go out and buy the flash cart. Post here first. Or even on one of the official websites.

That's okay! XD

Basically I sorta explained how you can play any of the 5,000 DS games, as much and as many times as you like, for the cost of one single DS game. ;o

Also, Pokemon is a good game, but there are a lot of other cool games on it as well. If you like RPG's there are a ton of them. But they have action games like Ninja Gaiden or Mortal Kombat. There's a huge selection to choose from, and even if it were just for Pokemon, there are a lot of Pokemon games you could play for just the price of one of them. >.>

It's like the R4. The R4 definitely started it all. The R4 is discontinued and ancient now though.

Not just the firmware updates being discontinued, but the programming in the card and the pieces used are old too.

Any R4's out now are imitators trying to make some money off of the name, and they're poorly maintained and very faulty. If you do find an original it isn't really worth getting.

AceKard 2i is what I use. It only costs about $15. It's also one of the best you can buy. Like I described in that huge post, all you would need to spend is about $30-$45 on the devices. Assuming you already had a DS, that is.

Also, just to be clear, it's as simple as downloading the ROM/game and putting it on the card and putting the card in like any other DS game.

If you really cared enough, you could spend an extra $10-$20 and get a GBA expansion kit. You just plug it into the bottom and throw the games on the AceKard 2i. That would allow you to play any of the thousands of Gameboy Advance games as well. But those are an acquired taste, really.

$10-20 is worth it for the benefits that old GBA games can give, for games such as Pokemon.

I know that you can get Pokemon on the computer, with roms and stuff, but the multiplayer online doesnt work. Does it work with the AceKard? And didnt GameFreak create some anti-piracy measures on Heart Gold and Soul Silver to screw any unlicenced games up?

They try to rework their anti-piracy on most of the larger new releases. They always get cracked though. It only serves to "protect" the game for a few weeks at most. Usually the games are playable as soon as they come out, but some change the protection and you have to wait for a new firmware release. Every once in awhile somebody might release a patch for the game if it's popular enough.

As for the WiFi and the Download and Play features? They work perfectly. I can connect HeartGold or SoulSilver to my Wireless router and download the special event Pokemon. I can also connect to the in-game multiplayer features as well. Playing with legit players and any non-legit players alike. It all basically works the same. If you use an AK2i you also have access to a cheat device. Pro Action Replay or whatever they're using these days. You can update it wirelessly as well.