Cant Join any server

Cinnaben

Hi guys cinnaben here! im back and trying to play again! :) but the problem is that everytime i try to log into any of our FA servers i get the following message "Game code(ui_mp_x86.dll) failed pure server check" thanks for the help guys!

try:

right click ur ET icon/properties/compatability

check run as administrator.

apply

close

problem should be fixed. tho if im not mistaken you'll have to make a new config?

or just before u do this, go into ur ET directory

find your config file and re-name it to "mycfg" or somet like that. then when u run the game as administator, u open console and type /exec mycfg

its a while since i had to do this, so im not 100%.

• Like 3

http://fearless-assassins.com/tutorials/article/343-how-to-fix-ui-mp-x86dll-failed-pure-server-check/

Basicly what thejuice says :)

Honestly? This seems like a bad idea. A better idea would be to _move_ your ET installation elsewhere where you don't need to use administrative rights, up to you.

People have been running ET as admin since the coming to existence of humanity, never heard any problems with it :)

Btw Cinnaben, you can report that you're back on tracker to get your status to active: http://fearless-assassins.com/tracker/

• Like 2

http://fearless-assassins.com/tutorials/article/343-how-to-fix-ui-mp-x86dll-failed-pure-server-check/

Basicly what thejuice says :)

People have been running ET as admin since the coming to existence of humanity, never heard any problems with it :)

Btw Cinnaben, you can report that you're back on tracker to get your status to active: http://fearless-assassins.com/tracker/

I honestly don't care how long people have been doing it. It's a bad practice and by advocating it you're putting people's computers in danger. You're running a program (a game!) with Administrative rights, all that's needed is one malicious PK3 uploaded to a server (one single connect could potentially compromise people's computers!) and most server admins will simply pluck a few PK3's from the nets and put them in. Or what if someone tells you about this create new mod? Which happens to be Jaymod but then repackaged with some 'new goodies'? ET is a perfect delivery system since most people actually automatically download every PK3 whether they're maps, soundpacks, w/e.

I'm not saying this will happen - nor am I saying this hasn't happened - but it's a really terrible idea. There's a reason for the 'principle of least privilege', see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_least_privilege- and all you need to do is move your ET folder to a location where you don't have to run it with Administrative rights to be a bit more secure.

Advocate best practices not bad practices.

• Like 1

I honestly don't care how long people have been doing it. It's a bad practice and by advocating it you're putting people's computers in danger. You're running a program (a game!) with Administrative rights, all that's needed is one malicious PK3 uploaded to a server (one single connect could potentially compromise people's computers!) and most server admins will simply pluck a few PK3's from the nets and put them in. Or what if someone tells you about this create new mod? Which happens to be Jaymod but then repackaged with some 'new goodies'? ET is a perfect delivery system since most people actually automatically download every PK3 whether they're maps, soundpacks, w/e.

I'm not saying this will happen - nor am I saying this hasn't happened - but it's a really terrible idea. There's a reason for the 'principle of least privilege', see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_least_privilege- and all you need to do is move your ET folder to a location where you don't have to run it with Administrative rights to be a bit more secure.

Advocate best practices not bad practices.

Don't worry woot,

Depends on the machine and what year it was built.

some people don't need to use Administrative rights to run Et, or use a video card. 

Q3 anyone?

Edited by AgeOldOrganics
  • Like 1

Don't worry woot,

Depends on the machine and what year it was built.

some people don't need to use Administrative rights to run Et, or use a video card. 

Q3 anyone?

I'm aware - I personally use Linux; and obviously I'm not using Administrative/escalated rights to run ET but nonetheless, the point I'm making is that for people running Windows and where administration rights are required to modify files in it's "Programs Files" directory shouldn't be running ET as Admin - but instead should move their ET folder elsewhere - and that bad practices shouldn't be recommended and in fact discouraged. 

ET is a perfect delivery system since most people actually automatically download every PK3 whether they're maps, soundpacks, w/e.

Hmm, this does shine a new light, never thought about this. Thanks for the info. Fact remains that I never heard from someone who had any troubles with it. Seems like most server owners are pretty good fellas.

Good idea by the way. We could upload some major malware to people who get caught  by anticheat. That would teach the bastards.

(jk)

Hmm, this does shine a new light, never thought about this. Thanks for the info. Fact remains that I never heard from someone who had any troubles with it. Seems like most server owners are pretty good fellas.

Good idea by the way. We could upload some major malware to people who get caught  by anticheat. That would teach the bastards.

(jk)

Isn't that the general idea though? Most serial killers seem to be good fella's too to all their neighbours and the likes (obviously not a great comparison - but just making it to illustrate my point). Then there's also the fact that if someone's actually distributing malware via ET and other games (honestly, knowing what's going on around the world these days - I really wouldn't be surprised) then it's kind-of the idea that people don't learn about it. Unless, of course - it's ransomware (Hey, let's combine our idea's - ransomware for cheaters. That'll teach 'm!) or something intended to annoy people; but most malware authors generally prefer their malware not being detected/found and anti-virus software and the likes are having enough trouble catching up - least, last I checked they essentially introduced a false sense of security (though feel free to correct me).

I hope someone will update the tutorial listed above to suggest people move their ET folder to a location which doesn't requires Administrative rights - which is a good practice opposed to running it with Administrative access and creating a (in my humble opinion) rather big security risk.

i hear what your saying woot. and agree. but generally, if ur only playing in F|A servers, then you'll never have any issues running it with admin rights. i only play F|A so im cool as a marrow ;)