Apple: Samsung knew it was ripping us off and did it anyway

Corey

Apple Samsung Patent Lawsuit Accusations

The tech industry’s version of a soap opera that networks just won’t cancel has been the gift that keeps on giving lately. Samsung (005930) rejected Apple’s settlement offer, Apple (AAPL) rejected Samsung’s settlement offer, Samsung told Apple it wouldn’t have sold a single iPhone without stealing Samsung’s protected technology… it never ends. Now, Apple has bitten back with yet another harsh accusation just days ahead of a new trial set to begin next week.

As WSJ blog AllThingsD reports, court documents recently filed by Apple make some pretty rough accusations, the gist of which is Samsung knew very well that it was ripping off Apple designs when it was building its products but decided to do so anyway. In fact, according to Apple, Google (GOOG) warned Samsung against copying Apple’s designs but the South Korea-based technology giant seemingly didn’t care.

“Samsung’s documents show the similarity of Samsung’s products is no accident or, as Samsung would have it, a ‘natural evolution,’ ” Apple said in a recent court filing. “Rather, it results from Samsung’s deliberate plan to free-ride on the iPhone’s and iPad’s extraordinary success by copying their iconic designs and intuitive user interface. Apple will rely on Samsung’s own documents, which tell an unambiguous story.”

Apple claims to have proof that in February 2010, Google warned Samsung that its Galaxy Tab and Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablets were too similar to the iPad, and urged the company to make a better effort to distinguish their designs. AllThingsD also notes that Samsung admitted its Galaxy S looked strikingly similar to older iPhones, according to Apple, and that it had previously been warned of the similarities by multiple famous designers.

eV_pqzOnO3M

View the full article

Its kind of typical of the asian industry, copy and make cheaper and better, apple isn't free of that issue. Its just sad they couldn't manufacture their own genius and ideas. I have owned the original iPhone since it was released in 2007 and it for me embodied everything i have dreamt of for a phone. I was looking at every option at the time and read extensive reviews telling the benefits and drawbacks of all of the multimedia phones of that time and couldn't land on one that fit what i wanted, well a couple months later and here it was, "THE PHONE". Now everyone was trying to make things slicker and cooler like the razr at the time but did nothing whatsoever to innovate, now they all use Apple to build their phones by and its as people say the biggest compliment to be copied but honestly, i could care less about another copy of an iphone and like the ipod most people still say they want the ipod not the knock off. Sure there is a market for those people but not enough to affect Apple at all.

Hopefully Tim Cook really steps into an era of innovation and pushes the envelope, the change in leadership allows for peoples roles in the company to flex and grow which has to impact innovations in my opinion. Still i dare guess Steve Jobs had the next decade envisioned as well as how to get there.

Its kind of typical of the asian industry, copy and make cheaper and better, apple isn't free of that issue. Its just sad they couldn't manufacture their own genius and ideas. I have owned the original iPhone since it was released in 2007 and it for me embodied everything i have dreamt of for a phone. I was looking at every option at the time and read extensive reviews telling the benefits and drawbacks of all of the multimedia phones of that time and couldn't land on one that fit what i wanted, well a couple months later and here it was, "THE PHONE". Now everyone was trying to make things slicker and cooler like the razr at the time but did nothing whatsoever to innovate, now they all use Apple to build their phones by and its as people say the biggest compliment to be copied but honestly, i could care less about another copy of an iphone and like the ipod most people still say they want the ipod not the knock off. Sure there is a market for those people but not enough to affect Apple at all.

Hopefully Tim Cook really steps into an era of innovation and pushes the envelope, the change in leadership allows for peoples roles in the company to flex and grow which has to impact innovations in my opinion. Still i dare guess Steve Jobs had the next decade envisioned as well as how to get there.

about that creativity you speak of....

http://gizmodo.com/5930033/apple-claims-this-prototype-means-it-didnt-copy-sony

FTR: I do think apple makes a decent product, but I do not believe that it is any less prone to ripping off ideas than any other company.

about that creativity you speak of....

http://gizmodo.com/5...didnt-copy-sony

FTR: I do think apple makes a decent product, but I do not believe that it is any less prone to ripping off ideas than any other company.

I saw that yesterday, i was pretty shocked, talk about eating my words! Well i guess they gave sony design a big compliment if it was ripped off. As a whole Apple is better at innovation in my opinion.

Edited by Bosman

I imagine next that Apple will claim to have invented the egg, followed by an injunction by Samsung because they claim to have invented the chicken... I think we can agree that they would have spent their time better by innovating than suing the pants off of each other.