FPS attitude

CaldasGSM

There are many questions posted about "how to play better", "how can I frag",..

and there are as many answers and tutorials.. but one thing that is common in all FPS games winners and that is not much spoken is

your attitude.. not if you get along with other players but your attitude towards the game..

so where are a few tips.. that may help you became a better player

Be the hunter, not the prey..

If this was real life.. I would agree that you only have one life.. so you should spare it..

But this is a game, and never have I seen a game where you get rewarded by not dying.. games always score your kills.. so..

GET KILLS.. you can be killed as many times as you like.. as long as you kill more..

this may seem a simple observation but means a lot in terms of attitude.. in every game you see new guys hiding in corners and windows.. trying to make kills without dying.. but you never see a pro doing it..

if you are hiding and you see someone passing by don't thing "i'm gonna wait for him to pass again, and see if I can take him"..

GO after him.. BE THE HUNTER.. if you go after him, 2 thing may happen, you kill him.. good.. he kills you.. so what.. you have to wait 10 seconds to respawn.. nothing lost.. but if you had killed him you had all to gain..

If you can see him, he can see you

If you thing you are safe in one spot.. making a lot of kills.. thing again.. the rule cant get any simpler..

if you can see someone to make a shot.. means someone can see you.. even if its just 1 pixel on the screen.. and thats all it takes..

so basically there is no "safe" spots.. and as long as you are in the same place you are a sitting duck.. you may have killed the guy the first time.. but if he is a smart player he will probably find a way to kill you without getting into your line of sight..

this means.. KEEP ON THE RUN.. finding new preys... because if you killed someone in 1 spot.. when he re-spawns he will go there to get you.. again there are 2 ways you can do it.. if it is a big server full of ppl just move on.. forget that guy there are enough ppl for you to kill and to run from.. but if it is a small server.. then a good tactic is to find another spot, but, from where you can cover the old one.. because, since ppl tend to return to the "scene of the crime".. to se if they can find you.. you just wait a few seconds.. and there is another victim for you.. but as soon as you kill him.. move.. and cover the last spot.. and you can do this for ever..

help me help you

for you to make kills, it helps to have a team that puts up a fight. And for this to happen a team must be well balanced..

what's the point of have 8 soldiers if no medic to heal.. or having 8 medics.. and no ammo.. etc..

So when you are playing keep in mind the overall tactics.. and react according to it..

may time I seem medics complaining about getting spawn raped.. when 2 or 3 air strikes could keep the enemy lines back.. but non of them goes field-ops.. so.. DON'T LIMIT YOURSELF.. check what your team needs at that moment and do it.. help the team.. and you will see your side progress.. allowing you to make more kills.. and kills can be done with any class..

Shoot, Move, Cover, Reload

LEARN HOW TO MOVE IN THE BATTLEFIELD, and progress in the terrain.. you probably have already seen many of those scenes in Hollywood movies.. even if much is fake.. there are some real thing to it.. so you don't need a field training.. you just have to pay attention..

This may be a game but, the rules still apply.. you can google a bit.. but here are some bullet points

-Always watch you back - keep you back to a wall.. if you cant.. make a 360 from time to time..

-Only stand still if you have cover - a moving target is harder then a sitting one..

-If you are not shooting you should be reloading - if you are not reloading you should be shooting

-Don't cover ground that is already covered- If someone is already pointing there, you should point somewhere else

-Keep a someone by you side - two have a better chance then one

-Give room to maneuver- never stand too close.. you don't want one grenade to make two kills, instead of one

there is many more that can be said.. but the point is even if this is a game.. in warfare (game or not) those rules are common sense..

and will help you a lot.

Offense wins the game, but defense wins the championship

Never dismiss defense.. doesn't matter if you are the attacking of defending team.. always keep an eye on the objective behind you..

Always have a backup plan.. and always be prepared to fall back..

Because PLAYING SMART wins more games then playing good.. a simple example is this..

many times I see ppl on the defending team pushing forward trying to spawn rape the other team..

this mean that when you kill a guy.. 10 seconds later you have to kill him again..

but if you hold you line farther back.. and he has to spend 10 seconds to get to you.. means you only have to kill him once every 20 seconds.. making him waist time to get to you.. only to get killed..

of course you shouldn't defend on top of the objective.. but the further you go the less it serves you.. so be smart about how you play

And I guess that is it.. for now.. don't know if any of this made sense to you, or if they will help..

but I wast just trying to make you realize that to be a good player there is much more that just good aiming and good luck..

and if you sum it up.. it wont even make half of it.. because the reason why good players are good.. is there attitude in the game..

they think like warriors, hunter and soldiers...

anything other than that and..

YOU ARE THE VICTIM

Hey, nice tuto.

I would like to add a few points which are important for me. Let's talk about ET, jaymod/nq, because this is where I play most of the time. I consider that obj is secondary (if I want to play obj, I go on an etpub server).

If this was real life.. I would agree that you only have one life.. so you should spare it..

But this is a game, and never have I seen a game where you get rewarded by not dying.. games always score your kills.. so..

GET KILLS.. you can be killed as many times as you like.. as long as you kill more..

this may seem a simple observation but means a lot in terms of attitude.. in every game you see new guys hiding in corners and windows.. trying to make kills without dying.. but you never see a pro doing it..

No, I don't agree with you on that. A good player, of course is good at getting kills. But he is also hard to kill, and he will not sacrifice himself if it is not necessary. Because he is intelligent on the battlefield. Do you consider a guy with a flamethrower, rushing into enemy's spawnkill, to be a good player ? I don't.

A good player will :

- Anticipate enemy movements. Be sure to be ready when they come. How many will they be ? When will they come ? Are there any snipers in this area ? Where is enemy's artillery support ? Where does the mortar shoot ? Any mg, panzer ? Look around you, listen to the sound of guns, look at your compass. A good player is rarely raped from behind.

- Take quickly the right decision. Take cover when you have to, run when you have to. Running away is not low. You're better alive than dead. I always lol when people say " run, nab". Who's the nab ? The one who has understood that he cant win the fight, or the guy who couln't shoot down an enemy who is in an awkward position ?

- Help your team. This is not you against the enemy. This is a team vs team. Revive, help, give ammo when your teamates need it. Don't block them, always think to give them some space to move.

- Sneak into enemy's lines. Kill them when they are not prepared. Surprise them. Ambush them. As long as youre not detected, you got the advantage. Not only you can kill a lot of people, but it's quite satisfying. :D

It's a bit like Fooball Manager for those who play it :rolleyes: , a good attacking player must have good technical attributes, but also have strong mental attributes like anticipation, composure, creativity, flair, teamwork, decision ..

• Clan Friend

Take quickly the right decision. Take cover when you have to, run when you have to. Running away is not low. You're better alive than dead. I always lol when people say " run, nab". Who's the nab ? The one who has understood that he cant win the fight, or the guy who couln't shoot down an enemy who is in an awkward position ?

hehe that's true, I run too, even if I b*** sometimes about it. :D

Probably because I forget that some people (e.g. raters) play 'competitively' even in jaymod servers, while instead in a 'fun' server you could expect people to accept the risk just for fun, otherwise you wont see players going around with single pistol against medics with full hp.

I lold hard when a player from a top rating clan ran away from me taking packs, when I had just a colt and he had mp40 and full hp, just because I had killed him before with some lucky hs... but that happens once in a lifetime.

Anyway yes you are right, one of the marks of a good player is the ability to quickly feel if a fight is going to be lost.

back to the tutorial topic,

I think it's always good to point out that tactics are as important as technique, even if some things you wrote are a bit generic or maybe false, for example about reloading. If you watch ettv you will see that they reload much less than the average jaymodder (since they have less ammo, slower reload, they selfkill, and their aim is better anyway).

And also the (already mentioned by LisTa) thing you said about not dying is not true many times. Both when playing for frags and for obj.

But the 'noob' is generally being too much scared of dying, so if some of those guys who just camp in tunnels and block, when they are supposed to attack instead, will read this, I think it will be useful for them, then maybe as they get more skilled tehy will learn when to retreat.

The problem with many players, is that they have many mental barriers to overcome, more than technical problems. As in the famous(? well, maybe among gamers) ebook 'playing to win' where the psychology of the nab is clearly described.

But, will they read your tutorial or they just don't care about improving? I hope it won't be the 2nd thing ... :rolleyes:

As you have pointed out the tutorial is a bit generic.. but that was the point.. (that is why it is on General Gamming, and not on a specific game)

And like SunLight referred.. It's more about the psychology of the thing, that about real tactics..

It is supposed to help new guys loose their fear, change their view on the game and join the game with a different attitude.

And for K.LisTa.. I do agree with what you said about the good players..

and on the tutorial I did make a reference to playing smart, and being able to fall back..

but that only needs to happen, once you stopped camping near your spawn.. to for that you must get over the fear of dying..

because good players may avoid getting killed.. but I doubt that any of them are afraid of dying and re-spawning..

And for new players. they must realize they will only get better and make a lot of kills after they died a lot of times