Mouse Settings Help - Enemy Territory

Blade

Ok, Well as my first time on F|A's forum I thought I would pass some cool facts and some mouse help wink.gif

For those of you ET Player who use gaming mice do you use high dpi?(dots per inch)

For some who know DPI and would consider more is better this is not always the case when it comes to the Quake 3

Engine which ET is run on. The Quake 3 engine can only convert up to 800dpi from what I have learned.(Blacky has informed me that negative accel can also be an issue with non gaming mice, but can also occur with them as well wink.gif ty blacky) Anymore then this will cause something

called negative acceleration. This means that if you move your mouse to a point of a map then move it somewhere else then move it back it will end up in a different location.

Most ETPro players will use a DPI of 400 which most low sensitivity players will use. On Average 800 dpi would good for med or high sens players. There are some programs that will counteract high dpi in the quake 3 engine, but all it will do is slow down the reaction time. Another thing to consider is what is your windows sensitivity set at? I have read forums stating that windows sensitivity should always be set at the 6th notch or it will skip pixels and also so its a 1 to 1 ratio.

Some mice I can recommend for ET Players would be the Razer deathadder, Logitech MX518, Razer Diaomdback.

I have tried these mice and have had a very good experience with all of them.

One of my favorites would be the MX518 because it was an optical mouse and it was very comfortable.

One question that may arise from players would be how do i know if my settings are where they should be.

How do I know if I'm a low, med, or high sens player?

The only way to figure this out is to experiment.

If your unsure start with low sens and everytime you feel its a bit too slow for you raise your sens by .2 until you find

the perfect sensitivity. I've experimented with different sensitivities and it took me quite awhile to get the right settings, but it was worth it.

Another thing to consider regarding mice is the amount of Hz you use. (Polling rate between the computer and Mouse)

If your using a wireless mouse the reaction time may be 66hz-125.(May Vary higher I'm not sure of the current ones on the market)For corded mice it will range from 125-1000hz)

1000Hz-1ms

500Hz-2ms

125Hz-8ms

Most players will use 500Hz because 1000Hz will use more resources or they can't react as fast as the mouse.

I hope these little tips will help you.

B!ade

Edited by Fearless Staff

• Administrators

You got some nice things their. But i would like to point out few things:

1. Mouse DPI settings should be based on screen resolution settings.

400 dpi at 1680*1050 screen resolution will cause pixels to skip.

I use around 800- 1000 dpi in G5.

2. Optical mouse are best because you need good mouse pad to track laser mouse. 80% mouse pad in market are made for tracking optical mouse.

3. Use 500Hz polling rate. 1000Hz can sometime break u USB because of continuous polling. If you have new hardware then by all means you can use it. But for old harware 500Hz is more then enough. It will just smoothen your mouse. The so called 2ms or 4ms lag is negligible when you are playing with 50ms to 200ms delay on internet.

4. With lower sensitivity you have more chance of hitting the g (acceleration) limit of mouse. Each mouse has its own g limit. Most gaming mouse have around 20 to 25 or so which changes with the dpi.

5. Also, screen has built in lag while rendering images. Goes from 8ms to 30ms (laptop) ones.

6. If i am not wrong win xp mouse pointer ballistics is broken for high dpi imo.

Here is article of mouse pointer ballistic if anyone is interested in.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/archive/pointer-bal.mspx

Use the formula to calculate how much DPI u need regarding your screen and polling rate.

In the end all you need is practice and good reflex. A good car will help you to win the race but in the end you should be good driver. ;)

i have a g5 mouse too - i use 500hz with mouse sensitivity cranked to 2000/1800ish, windows acceleration OFF, use mouse software ONLY to control sensitivity ( disabled windows mouse control ), no acceleration or smoothing.

i keep m_pitch and m_yaw at default 0.022.

so my mouse is set to high sensitivity settings, but in-game i use 0.88 to 0.92 sensitivity ( sometimes up to 1.2 depending on mod etc ).. am actually a low sensitivity player.

in the end i think what is most important is consistency. stay away from ball mice, don't fiddle too much with your settings and keep your mousepad clean.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have an Logitech Mx1000 cordless laser mouse with special mouse pad (plastified)

arround 800 dpi and 5.8 megapixel imageprocessing

but i play at a sense of 3.5 average is that too high then?

• 1 month later...

I have an Logitech Mx1000 cordless laser mouse with special mouse pad (plastified)

arround 800 dpi and 5.8 megapixel imageprocessing

but i play at a sense of 3.5 average is that too high then?

too high and too low are relative. personally, think about your style, if you use radar, etc then formulate your mouse strategy (i.e. do you plan your fights (lower sens) or just run in guns blazing? (higher sens)). low sens is great for acc, bad for maneuverability. high sens is the opposite. try setting your mouse sense so when you have your mouse in the middle of your pad you can turn 3/4, if you are overcorrecting a lot when you shoot, set it so you can only turn to see right and left (180degrees range).

personally, best mousepad i have owned is the steelseries i-2 experience. sexy as hell. also owned the exactmat, amazing surface, but breaks down over time.