Philosophical Considerations---> Do you hate your job?

PigNewton

The word westernization of cultures in based upon (partly) on the introduction of time is money metaphor, which by penetrating pretty much all cultures by now has shaped the conception how we perceive that time should be used. In other words, it should be something that is productive, and what is productive is based upon cultural values, which comes back to the time is money metaphor. So forth, those that are seen usually most industrious are those that have bigger paychecks, work long days - and those who in their freetime learn new languages, exercise, build up relations etc = even our use of free time has fallen under the same rubric of time is money, which controls everything, if not in reality in some cases then in subconsciously as in I should.

So what do you do for work?

Do you live a quality life?

What are your values?

How much do you make?

Do you feel anxiety sometimes because you feel you don't make enough? Or do you feel content and relaxed?

Do you feel envious of other people who are wealthier than you but whom you know personally? For example, a friend who makes more or an old classmate.

What's your personal definition of success?

• Like 1

So I forgot to answer some of the questions:

At the moment I am doing my graduation internship at Fokker Aerostructures, which is a Dutch Aerospace Company. We design, develop, and manufacture aircraft and spacecraft components.

As an internship I only get about 350 euros/month, plus money for gas to drive there. It comes out to about 500 per month. Once I get a job (hopefully this summer), it'll be between 25k - 40k per month.

I think I would be happier being a pilot, which was my original plan after college. However I think I'll have to give up that dream because of debt.

Ok so if the pendulum oscillates between pain and boredom, where do you sit within that? What do you do for work? How much do you make? Would you say you have a high quality life? How do you know? Thanks bro!

Thanks for your questions.

Well, I sit in resignation. That chills me and it's more coherent with a buddhist yoga (discipline).

I work in historical & urban research. It's fair enough to have the basics and i'm not contaminated with non-reflexive consumism.

My own taxonomy of quality life is just serotonin & ethical thoughts. I know cuz is the work of mesuring suffering & tears.

Thanks for your questions.

Well, I sit in resignation. That chills me and it's more coherent with a buddhist yoga (discipline).

I work in historical & urban research. It's fair enough to have the basics and i'm not contaminated with non-reflexive consumism.

My own taxonomy of quality life is just serotonin & ethical thoughts. I know cuz is the work of mesuring suffering & tears.

That's cool. So what boosts your serotonin specifically and what is your framework for ethical thought and behavior? Also, what motivates you in life?

• 3 months later...

When one works for others it is hard to feel empowered about yourself and hard TO empower yourself. The very nature of "your job" denotes a pecking order and an authority greater than your own. I have developed my own Thoughts and feelings about work over the years. It is to me a means to an end, it finances the party.

I have had this discussion with my current employer who i have worked for for over 10 years. I am fortunate of course. But in a nutshell, I do work for money, and they pay money for work. Nothing more. No power over me when I am not there, no Calling me in the middle of the night. I empower myself thru the act of chosing. Chosing to accept consequences for my decisions and chosing what my decisions are. Work is not mutually exclusive. Your boss does not own you. You can end your employment any time, unless of course there are contractual obligations. If my current job takes a crap on me, I will just find another. And after that another.  My kid is grown, college will be done soon and I will not have the respnsibility of being responsible for others. Way I see it, life is getting easier.

And for you people i your 20's, trust me, work gets easier as you go along. I have either a double whiskey on the rocks, of a 22oz beer and a 12 oz beer everyday for lunch. Don't work thru your lunch. Enjoy YOUR TIME, its YOURS

Warm regards,

Hydro