Client Issue Gray Screen Problem for ET

IHatePlayer2

Question

Recently bought a used Dell Vostro 200 for $20...

Specs: 

CPU: Intel Core Duo E4300 (1.80ghz)

GPU: I believe an Intel GMA 3100, 256mb (integrated chip, shitty IK. Driver is latest version from 2009, 8.15.10.1930

RAM: 4gb

On an old laptop I acquired I could play ET fairly well (60-65fps most maps) and then I thought I had upgraded to a desktop/more efficient computer as the only reason I really need one is to play ET. The main problem I'm having here is it will launch just fine, intro plays, song plays, but there is just a gray screen the entire time. I can skip through the intro, but I cannot go through any other controls. I've tried reinstalling, and setting in the startup parameters, +r_mode -1 +r_customwidth 1024 +r_customheigth 768, as I figured an old game like this wouldn't run too well on native 1080p. I've tried running as admin (although I figured this was a deeper problem) but no luck. I've tried installing ETLegacy as well because they say that its supposed to be compatible with anything or some shit, but that wouldn't even launch just the ETLegacy has stopped error. Any help is much appreicated!

Edited by IHatePlayer2

6 answers to this question

Technically it should play on that system

Be sure to have accelerated Graphics Enabled check dxdiag for information regarding the video settings

Also check the video driver is correct https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

This is supposed to work on the graphics controller Intel GMA 3100 Dynamic Video Memory Technology 4.0 with Windows 7 64bit this has Accelerated graphics 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22521/Intel-Graphics-Media-Accelerator-Driver-Windows-7-64-Windows-Vista-64-exe-

By default Windows 7 runs .Net Frameworks 3.5 and 2.0 should already be present other then that that is all I can think.

Also try to run ins compatibility mode for Windows XP SP2 I don't know if the SP1 on 7 makes any difference 

It won't let me install the driver, it says I do not meet the recommended requirements, and Intel's driver support says I am all up to date so no breakthroughs there. The Windows XP SP2 compatibility run didn't work either. I'm wondering if maybe I should downgrade to an older graphics driver but I don't exactly know how to do that lol. Do you think it could be an OpenGL problem?

Edited by IHatePlayer2

Me and Cap think its most likely a bad install as im missing my default.dat and default cfg. But I also got the installer from the downloads section of the forums. I guess we'll see what happens in the next few days and you'll see me on Jay2 if we get it all figured out.

i messed with it a bit .. loads game i can even type counsel commands but doesnt show on screen its just white. if i cant get it . ill just give him one my old gpus and . it should work then the display settings are kinda lame for that intel. ima try a manual update of the driver . but im sick with pneumonia. and gotta work.blahhhh. 

• Like 1