Death of a HP, any chance I can fix this cheaply?!

Phil-O

So I switched to the AMD and there are still a few problems, albeit not as bad as before!

- I can't regulate the screen brightness, only if I switch to the Intel HD graphics and then back to AMD it works.

- After a lot of Windows updates and subsequent auto-configuration at startup I had a blue screen. Fortunately on restart the faulty configuration was automatically uninstalled.

post-13849-0-92280900-1444845047_thumb.jpg

post-13849-0-77303500-1444845059_thumb.jpg

Let's see if that fixed it, maybe a one of the windows updates caused a problem with the AMD driver.

As for the problem concerning the screen brightness, I will see for that when I have more time...

Sorry, me again :(

It worked OK for a few days, although i always put him to sleep instead of shutting it down to keep him alive. Now I just got a blue screen while gaming. It was only visible for one second or two, the only thing I can recall of the BS was that it was saying something with the word "kernel" blabla in the top left corner of the screen...

Afterwards screen went black and thus is what I got... No hard disc exists?!? After manually rebooting I'm again stuck at windows booting...

post-13849-0-81315300-1445262042_thumb.jpg

post-13849-0-46162500-1445262077_thumb.jpg

Tried rebooting again twice, this came up:

post-13849-0-00446700-1445262861_thumb.jpg

The checkup seemed fine.

Then again bluescreen and after three attemps to reboot I'm back in windows miraculously. I think I need to solve this for real, this can't be the way forward...

Check the health of your hard disk drive with S.M.A.R.T. For that, open a Prompt Command with admin rights and then type this:

wmic (press Enter)

diskdrive get status (press Enter again)

If possible, take a screenshot of the Prompt Command window or of Crystal with Snipping Tool instead of your phone please.
-start button
-in the search bar type this: Snipp
-click on the Snipping Tool icon
Edited by Ann!b@l
  • Like 1

Hey hey, thanks for guiding me through.

Here are the screenshots, I hope that is what you were hoping for.

post-13849-0-89944700-1445377895_thumb.png

post-13849-0-71264400-1445377930_thumb.png

I also noticed some "minor" troubles - what the heck is that?!

post-13849-0-87398800-1445377939_thumb.png

Thanks again!

Best
Phil-O

Did you see the second screenshot that I made with CrystalDiskMark 5?

Or did you want me to install another version of Crystal?

Yes. The first software is a benchmarking tool for write\read speed on your disk drive. The second software is for a checking of any other issues like bad sectors.

I'm asking all this cause of these screens:

Edited by Ann!b@l
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey hey,

In the meantime the error had mostly stopped and i was able to play a bit, but then it started again, so I can't be playing any games anymore. Now it is impossible to switch to the Radeon GPU as the computer simply freezes every time I try. At least it is giving me slightly less shit on re-start, i.e. the laptop will mostly restart fine after a freeze, no need for the startup repair.

The CrystalDiskInfo I had run gave me "gut" (= good) as a result so I didn't bother writing it in here.

post-13849-0-29859600-1448320100_thumb.png

Other than the GPU problem, the laptop also keeps on having trouble with what seems to be the network device. The LED lamp on the Wireless-switch starts flickering red/white alternately and the laptop freezes, sometimes followed by blue screen. This happens approximately once per week so it's not that bad.

I'm a bit demoralised now, I guess this is more of a hardware issue than driver connected. I am not proficient enough to interpret the bluescreen logs, all I can say is that the event log is full of "errors" and even "critical" entries:

post-13849-0-91139300-1448321437_thumb.png

post-13849-0-77081800-1448321439_thumb.png

I definitely won't buy new hardware anytime soon so I'll stop trying to play computer games for a while and hope that the laptop will at least suffice for my office work (studies).

If any of you still feel there is something to be done here feel free, but I won't blame you if not!

Best,
Phil-O

PS: Not that it's of any help, but here's a 3DMark result for the onboard Intel HD Graphics.

post-13849-0-33952600-1448321974_thumb.png