Pondering Pig #2----> Duality, Ambiguity and Model Theism

PigNewton

Duality and ambiguity play a nefarious role in daily living. We go through our routine, encountering persons, bodies, personalities and emotional reactions of all sorts. However, there are times when we wrongfully and impulsively judge. We judge our contexts, people, employment, religions, authority and establishments based on one single encounter. Someone cuts us off and POOF "What a punk!" We classify them. We don't consider justifying their behavior. We somehow feel this is equivalent with excusing them. I would like to open a discussion focusing on how we perceive singularity in a world of multiplicity.

• What judgements have you made recently?
  • What are alternative ways of perceiving this interaction?
  • How would it change your life if you did this practice more often?
  • Like 1

My judgement: Guy cut me off while driving on the highway today. And of course he was one of those young, douche-bag, BMW drivers, who probably got their car from their parents. 

Alternative: Maybe he didn't see me

How would it change my life: It wouldn't really, because I generally let it. Its not like I get extremely pissed off, or follow them or w/e.

============================

I have noticed something though. If someone cuts me off and I get annoyed or mad, I generally don't really think about giving them the benefit of the doubt. However if my wife (or someone else) is driving and the same thing happens, and they get annoyed mad. I general try to calm that person down by saying something like, "Well maybe they are in a hurry for [some reason]". So when I get annoyed/mad, its justified, but when others get mad it isn't justified (in my head). 

Edited by ajnl

My judgement: Guy cut me off while driving on the highway today. And of course he was one of those young, douche-bag, BMW drivers, who probably got their car from their parents. 

Alternative: Maybe he didn't see me

How would it change my life: It wouldn't really, because I generally let it. Its not like I get extremely pissed off, or follow them or w/e.

============================

I have noticed something though. If someone cuts me off and I get annoyed or mad, I generally don't really think about giving them the benefit of the doubt. However if my wife (or someone else) is driving and the same thing happens, and they get annoyed mad. I general try to calm that person down by saying something like, "Well maybe they are in a hurry for [some reason]". So when I get annoyed/mad, its justified, but when others get mad it isn't justified (in my head). 

Do you feel it would change your life is you trained your perception to include alternative possibilities for every emotionally significant experience you have? I have trouble believing it wouldn't.

I get cut off driving I basically say jackass!! to myself and let it go..is forgotten about in a minute..to hang on to anger or negative thoughts serves no purpose.besides how do you know if they didn't see me or under stress or mental XD ..maybe the stole the car... it serves me to move on and think about what I'm doing...same reasoning can be used in many situations...I've had a lot of practice being a service tech..I've gone to customers home and they go mental for whatever reason and start being totally unreasonable maybe cursing or banging stuff around..office scheduling or whatever...I stay cool and say ..hum..I got to go to my truck and I drive away..maybe they will will have some time to think about it while they wait again for another repairman :)

Do you feel it would change your life is you trained your perception to include alternative possibilities for every emotionally significant experience you have? I have trouble believing it wouldn't.

this

I get cut off driving I basically say jackass!! to myself and let it go..is forgotten about in a minute..to hang on to anger or negative thoughts serves no purpose.besides how do you know if they didn't see me or under stress or mental XD ..maybe the stole the car... it serves me to move on and think about what I'm doing...same reasoning can be used in many situations...I've had a lot of practice being a service tech..I've gone to customers home and they go mental for whatever reason and start being totally unreasonable maybe cursing or banging stuff around..office scheduling or whatever...I stay cool and say ..hum..I got to go to my truck and I drive away..maybe they will will have some time to think about it while they wait again for another repairman :)

Exactly, pretty much what I do. lol

• 2 months later...

This one is ET related, but I believe the paradigm shifts in perception have practical applications in real life.

I was frustrated, getting owned left and right on Hardcore server. I habitually remained UNREVIVED by a friendly medic who was more focused on fragging than being a useful medic.

I called him useless and remained upset at him until I disconnected.

What I didn't consider at the time, makes a big list. Each time he focused on fragging, he could have been playing a critical role in defending the objective; the usefulness of which I overlooked due to my biased anger. We still won that round, and it very well could have been because of an allied engineer that he killed instead of healing me. 

Another probability: if not blinded by my anger, I very well may have realized that each time he didn't revive me, it's because he had two options: Revive me and get killed, then I get killed and the team is overan by opposition offense, OR take advantage of a critical opportunity to frag a medic who was turned around which, if left uncontested , would have ultimately contributed to not only his death, but mine as well.