Doc's 2014 deer season

docwarren

A view of this years' hunting results...

That's right. Not a damn thing.

Rain, snow, sleet, fog with visibility of 20 yards. All made for 5 days of being cold wet and add in the horrible statistics from ODNR.... it was a very sucky season. 6000 less deer taken on opening day tells me that the deer population was much lower than they forecast.

I am of the belief that UFO's have stopped abducting cows and have moved on to deer.

More to the story, but in short......Very frustrated.

• Like 6

DNR said the same thing here in Michigan, which is a load of horse pucky. There were less licences handed out, deer populations are fine and growing, one reason they  started populating the area with cougar which makes no sense to me at all. 

weather, lack of funds to buy a licence, lack of knowledge on were the major herds have moved too, might be the issue. I sit and laugh when i see deer in the fields around my area, look like herds of cattle out there grazing and the DNR says there is a lack of deer. This about the same story throughout the gas station coffee shops in our side of the state. " DNR is full of shit "

20$ a deer Licence fee 

5 deer @ 120 lbs dressed = 600 lbs for a 100$

cheaper than raising, slaughter, packaging, cattle.

happy hunting. Bow season here ends Jan 1st, I'll get a couple more throw them in the freezer. Sorry don't post evidence, lol. 

Today's hunters want convenience, That is the biggest issue.

Today's hunters want convenience, That is the biggest issue.

Not us. We hunt on our own private land that is posted. We do not bait our land. Our kills are processed by us.

However...... my last 3 taken all fell within 20 yards of the road. So some convenience IS nice. ;)

p.s.- had to deal with poachers 2 days in a row. One day was with all of us confronting. Second day was just me. Can't lie..... pucker factor of 10 on my own.

• Like 1

I shot a doe on 12/2 and a buck on 12/3 when I attended a draw hunt for a state park that I've tried to get drawn for the past 6 years.  I put me an a friend in and we were drawn this year.  150 hunters on 9000 acres.  Their goal, reduce the population.  We were give a two deer limit and no restrictions on antler size.  The county this park is in is a quality managed county where all buck harvests have to have at least four points on one side.

I feel kind of bad because on my properties I have I let everything walk as I am trophy hunting and I've seen a lot this year.  Given the opportunity to shoot meat in a state park, well you get the picture. Oh yea these state park deer also don't count against your allotted limit either.  Not that it matters because you get something like seven does and two bucks in Georgia.  Starting next week I have it off to hunt my place in Alabama.  Same thing for me there in that I'll let a lot walk as I am trophy hunting.  It is a sick hobby putting all the money into leasing land, planting, maintaing stands, dealing with tresspassers and poachers only shoot a quality or trophy buck about once every five years. Still it is something that I do.

Here are a couple of old websites I did years ago showing my hunting activities.  I keep saying I'm going to update them, but I never do.

http://cervus-venator.com/

https://cervusvenator.wordpress.com/

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Snake,

Let me know when you want to go hunting for the elusive Barroom Skank.  I hear they are easily drawn in but a hard time to bring down.

Sometimes it takes more than one shot.

• Like 1

p.s.- had to deal with poachers 2 days in a row. One day was with all of us confronting. Second day was just me. Can't lie..... pucker factor of 10 on my own.

I can show you how to kill those poachers from about 1000 yards out.  No pucker at all.  Shaved .308 works every time.

• 4 weeks later...

Doc, is the deer season over up that way?  Our AL season ends at the end of the month, but I haven't been hunting deer much in the past few weeks.  I turned my focus towards wild pigs.  I've hunted them the 17th - 19th and didn't seen a thing, but 500 yards up the hill my friend was killing them.  He shot 3 on Saturday the 17th and then another one on the 19th.  He told me to go to his spot this weekend since he couldn't go and last night I got me a 100 lb pig out of a group of 15 or so that came in.  I was shooting it for a faimly that stated they needed the meat, but when I took it to the processor I found they never picked up a deer I had dropped off for them.  That's kind of frustrating.  Of course I picked up the deer and filled my freezer with it and now in a week I'll have a hog to put in there if i can make the room.  I guess I'm done for the year.  I think I'll shoot ducks on the last day of duck season next Saturday and then start gearing up for turkey season that stars in mid-March.

I hope you found some luck late in the season and if not, well you always have next year to look forward to.

I don't know when it actually ended for extended season or primitive weapons since I don't live up there. But I know 1 brother went back out for extended season for 2 days and didn't see a thing.

Been starting to prep my son for his first hunt next season. I haven't decided if I will arm him or just have him go with me to learn the farm, spots, trails & stuff. We might just walk to get them moving for the others.

I haven't hunted anything besides deer since rabbit & turkey season in '92. Always wanted to do a hog hunt. Glad you got some reserve now.