DJ aka GDR DJ

• 3 months later...

And the main characters were played by suprise cast. By their S-African pwn rap band, soundtrack from them and probably the artwork\cloth design also...

Wasn´t best of story\cast wise but if you´d go to see as a movie to tell a story about raising a kid then its quite intruiging.

2nd AI movie following this one, would be more serious as opposed this fairy tail type.

At least the audience in cinema got couple of laughs out of it while the kid was raised as a robot with attitude:P

• Like 1

Weird marketing techniques for this one- i've seen it advertised as like a robot "shoot-em-up" but also as a heartfelt tale about AI with emotions, feelings, morality, ect..

Excited nonetheless to see it! I loved what Blomkamp did with District 9, thought that was a cool movie so I have high hopes for Chappie too ^^ 

• Like 1

Like the movie short circuit ...number 5 is alive :-). Lol I loved that movie... but slicker.more shooting..less humor.. AI is very scary indeed...a self aware machine not given a moral compass...only deductive reasoning

• Like 1

1) the fact that chappie was inherently good doesn't seem self-evident. I think it would have been more interesting if they went into that.

2) Di antwoord hurt that film. Those two are weird, their music is weird (to me, and I don't think I'm the only one who thinks that) and they took up too much of the screen. It was painfully obvious that they were who they were and it felt to disjointed.

Despite some these massive, massive flaws, the movie has heart. Would recommend it, but have middle-of-the-road expectations.

Update: watched the film!

I found that certain parts were really well done and others weren't. The movie could have probably benefited from a more experienced screenwriter, but otherwise I thought the cinematography was excellent, and I just have to say I really, really enjoy Neil Blomkamp's style. It's totally weird, so if you find yourself uncomfortable watching "strange" things such as the bright costumes, unexpected music or exaggerated themes, then this is not for you. The style is strange and the setting in and of itself (south Africa) is already a departure from the everyday movies I watch which I found really refreshing.

The AI's "growing up" sequence was the most well done section of the movie to me; there is a scene where (slight spoilers ahead, watch out) the "child" robot is getting beat up by a gang of thugs, and he doesn't know why these people are hurting him, and is essentially begging and screaming for them to stop.. It was like watching a puppy get kicked on screen... teared up during multiple sections of Chappie's "growing up." Kind of resonates to resemble kids growing up in the ghetto, in a lot of ways this movie teaches you more about humanity than it does about robotics. There is a twist sort of end that doesn't disappoint and overall i'd say its a movie you can definitely invest in and see in theatre if you wish. I'd probably give it a solid 7/10. 

Also- how f*ckin creepy was Hugh Jackman's character?!