Google search no longer an option in IE on some new Windows Phone handsets

sincity

Google search no longer an option in IE on some new Windows Phone handsets

Microsoft is preventing some Windows Phone users from accessing Google as the default search engine in Internet Explorer, it has been revealed.

Owners of new, unlocked Nokia Lumia 930 and Lumia 630 handsets, shipping with Windows Phone 8.1 are apparently unable to switch from Bing to Google within the Internet Explorer app.

Previously, the Verge reports, WP makers have been able to choose default search engines in IE, but the Lumia 930 and 630 are the first to ship since the Microsoft-acquisition was finalised.

That would give credence to the suggestion it is a deliberate move from Microsoft rather than an oversight.

Clarity

According to the report, other devices that have been updated to Windows Phone 8.1 this week are not experiencing the same issues and can still select Google as a search client within Internet Explorer.

Some European unlocked Lumia 930 and Lumia 630 handsets still have the option enabled, so it's possible the emission stateside could be an oversight.

Until Microsoft clarifies, no-one can be sure. TechRadar has reached out to the folks at Redmond and will update this article should a response be forthcoming.

mf.gif

rc.img
rc.img
rc.img

a2.imga2t.imgGppqJrqAtgc
  • Like 1

Currently on my Nokia Lumia 928 WP 8.1 Version 8.10.12397.895 DOES have Google as a search option.

If there is an update within the next week, I will check again.

The way Google has been with WP, I wouldn't doubt it was Google and not Microsoft that forced this to change. They flat out refuse to make WP apps and may have told MS to remove it.

Reminds me of when Apple decided to discontinue Safari for Windows. Microsoft only wants people to start utilizing their search engine, Bing.