Quality Tests

Malokyte

Gonna make a video soon, but I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to record the clips. So I'm trying to find the best quality recording I can get, while not taking up all my time in the process.

I want a general opinion from at least some people on whether the quality is noticably different from other tests, and whether you believe the time used to improve the quality was worth it.

So here's the first test I took. It's high quality, though it required over an hour of work and waiting to record a 12 second clip, excluding audio. Audio had to be recorded at later time and then reinserted with the clip, resulting in almost an hour and 15 minutes for a 12 second clip, excluding any extra editting. Display settings are 1920 x 1080, programs used were the in-game avidemo command, VDub, and fraps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Fdt4gRbqMU

<---------- link for larger window / fullscreen

Ignore the pink sky, I'm testing which color works best to make the background fully transparent. Pink leaves pink borders on everything.

I will be uploading a second test using just fraps, which should be much faster at recording, but a quality drop. Will post details about it when I upload it. Same clip and display settings as well.

Edit: Thanks Tomato, reuploaded at true 1920x1080... hopefully xD. Fixed links, still have to do it for fraps quality test

Edit 2: God damn audio problems ._. hate youtube.

• Like 1

Haha, I remember when you killed me there. xD

Just wondering, do you think you can share your config? I just want to to look at it.

What for? Either way, here it is: http://www.box.net/shared/eoqt4ttudc

Anyways, tested for just fraps. Quality is still good, visible frame rate decrease when action goes on. Records much faster, though I'm concerned about clips that have smoke grenades or large fire fights, as I believe it'd cause a lot of frame loss. Display settings of 1920 x 1080.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S56Bawyy8E8

<--------- link for larger window / fullscreen

Determined green sky works, though some parts of the background fade through the non-sky areas, probably fixable with a mask.

Your config just looks a bit weird to me. I just wanted to see what the difference is.

Edit: And also, neither one seems to be playing at true 1080p. I fullscreen'd both videos and neither works well at 1920x1080.

Edited by Tomato
  • Like 1

Your config just looks a bit weird to me. I just wanted to see what the difference is.

Edit: And also, neither one seems to be playing at true 1080p. I fullscreen'd both videos and neither works well at 1920x1080.

Indeed, that seems the case. Recorded in 1920x1080, but it seems that the final render finished at 1440x1080. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

just curious Mal do you use a field of view of 80 instead of 65?

And also do you at least know what kind of processor you have?

Other than that good luck in making the video :D

Yes, is use 80 fov. And I have a Intel i7 core processor, or something like that. And thanks for the support :P

Also, found out I can make a skybox with some mod tools, so I'm going to be trying that out.

Which codec do you use?

And watch Videocopilot for great Sky-Replacement tutorial when its not working like you want to have. (Direct Link to Tutorial)

Btw. I use for editing Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 and Adobe After Effects. I render @ Sony Vegas in 800x600 5kbits 29,970 FPS with x264+ codec or how its called. Another choose could be the Lagarith Codec.

I rendered it most time twice with nfth Pass and normal. When its done i use MeGUI to render it to Top-Qually. Most times i use then XVID codec (cause with x264 you cant change the resolution dont kniw why xD - thats why i use Lagarith codec next time) and Lame MP3 for sound. Now you have to write a small AVS Script. In this script you write the Resolution you want and that you want to have sound. And you could change the Grop.

Thats the way how i render my video to 1280x720 HD with 7.500 Bits and so. You could do a lot of more Bits and Resolution but then the file gets Bigger and Bigger and who want to DL a Video which is 5mins long but 10 GB big^^

Edited by Mobby

Which codec do you use?

And watch Videocopilot for great Sky-Replacement tutorial when its not working like you want to have. (Direct Link to Tutorial)

Btw. I use for editing Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 and Adobe After Effects. I render @ Sony Vegas in 800x600 5kbits 29,970 FPS with x264+ codec or how its called. Another choose could be the Lagarith Codec.

I rendered it most time twice with nfth Pass and normal. When its done i use MeGUI to render it to Top-Qually. Most times i use then XVID codec (cause with x264 you cant change the resolution dont kniw why xD - thats why i use Lagarith codec next time) and Lame MP3 for sound. Now you have to write a small AVS Script. In this script you write the Resolution you want and that you want to have sound. And you could change the Grop.

Thats the way how i render my video to 1280x720 HD with 7.500 Bits and so. You could do a lot of more Bits and Resolution but then the file gets Bigger and Bigger and who want to DL a Video which is 5mins long but 10 GB big^^

lol Mobby, most of that just went right over my head. I'm incredibly retarded with anything past layman terms. All I look at is the end product and applaud myself if I didn't destroy my computer in the process + cookies if the produce looks good.. However, I am learning some small little effect stuffs from Video Co-Pilot, though I probably won't use anything past Vegas presets for the first video I'll maket

Anyways, using Terragen and CoD4 mod tools, I made a sky box. Looks nice and pretty, and saves me the trouble of having to replace the sky at a later time.

shot0000.jpg

I started recording clips using the longer, but better quality way. Getting about 1 clip done a day if I'm lucky though <.< stupid school.

But, music choice has always been a hard spot for me. I tend to choose "odd" music for videos ._. most of the music I listen to isn't even remotely mainstream.

So I'm going to need some help choosing a song that I listen to, but is at least bearable to other people. Word of warning, I grew out of rock and rock-like genres... mostly.

I have 3 songs I've been contemplating because I recently discovered the artist, and I love chiptune music. So an opinion on them would be nice.

She - Fuse:

She - Coloris:

She - Computer Music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp-2t1tABYs&fmt=18

Fuse has more syncable moments than the other two, though it's short, and has some lull points.

Coloris is closer to rock, though it has fewer sync points, and some longer lull points.

Computer Music is longer, more sync points than Coloris, but harder at some points to sync.

Opinions would be nice. And recommendations. Keep in mind I usually won't accpet mainstream music as a choice.

Hmmm interesting choices

I would recommend Coloris, has some nice beats in it. The other two are kinda meh.

Some songs i might recommend are

Invaders Must Die by The Prodigy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWlvLwLv1f4

Little slow at the the beginning but still good

The Other Side by Pendulum

Good Luck with the vid!