Changing aspect ratio causes iw3mp.exe to stop working

ronaldounit0

Question

So recently I have been trying to move my profile onto another computer. I kept getting that pesky "iw3mp.exe has stopped working" the second I click on the multiplayer button. However, with a bit of help from google, I got it to work----barely. Now (with my old profile), it keeps the graphics settings that I used on my laptop (which needless to say, are quite ****). This wouldn't be a problem if I COULD change the graphics settings. Here is the problem I encounter:

After going into the multiplayer menu, I click on options--->graphics----->change resolution------>apply. The reset causes the .exe to crash and I have to go back into the game. However, if I keep the graphics options that are currently enabled, I can join games, play, record, etc. But because the resolution is that terrible, I made a new profile (it let me keep my name, oddly enough) and I am level 1 again. With this profile, for some very strange reason, I can change the resolution without the .exe freezing up. I guess I can take it as long as I get the correct graphics settings. 

I know there are a lot of iw3mp.exe problems out there (yes, I tried the headphones, the sound settings, fresh install, validating the install, etc.), but this topic should serve the people who have THIS EXACT PROBLEM pretty well, and if this is you, here is what you do:

*get a new profile, your old one is done for. 

I have the sneaking suspicion that there is a way to change the graphics settings without going into the game (to avoid that reset), but I don't have the experience, nor the time or patience to try. If this is happening to you, take it from someone who has been on google for hours and hours without end----sure, some of the fixes MAY help, but none are guaranteed. Save yourself those hours of your life and just create a new profile. 

If anyone has had this exact problem and found one of the ways to fix it, please comment below, it may help out whoever is looking for the solution. (Also, on a side note: yes, I know that there are other threads that describe similar problems, but please don't comment with "Check the other threads, people have had similar problems", because I have indeed spent time looking at those and none of them helped. This .exe has more than one problem)

Good luck  ;)

2 answers to this question

This may work or may not work I am not 100% sure but go to My Computer>Local Disk>Program Files>Activision>Call-of-Duty 4 - Modern Warfare>players>profile>(Click your profile)>open up "Config.mp"> Now look for "seta r_aspectRatio "(In here is whatever the default ratio set is )" mine is "seta r_aspectRatio "auto". You will need to change the "auto" part either to "Wide 16:9" , "Standard 4:3" or "Wide 16:10" or keep it as "Auto" save it and then re open cod4 and it should hopefully work.

• Like 1