I want to make a map.

Fb!N!nJa

lol im not a pro at map making, but i do consider myself an aspiring graphic artist, 3d modeler, comp programmer, web designer. almost done with my associate in computer web design, so i can program action script 3 in flash, java, c++ and use a variety of high end software that does lend itself well to this type of work, the gm scripts for omni bot are based of c++ for example

If you dont call that pro i dont know what to call you lol

and thx to helping me all about this map stuff, this will really help improve my knowledge in map-making :thanks

wow, i just tryed my first map today omg i cant even make a god dam box lol but im trying

wow, i just tryed my first map today omg i cant even make a god dam box lol but im trying

that's what the hollow tool is for its a gray box icon with red borders on the tool bar in raident 1.5, you will still want to clean the seems up(this is like a 45 degree joint on the edge or you can but them up against one another but try to avoid overlapping as it will make the bsp compile much slower if you don't but you dont need to worry much about that at this point) but that will take a big square brush and make 6 sides all the width of the current grid, its almost dead center at the top, but don't ever use the csg tools there buggy and can cause a lot of problems i couldn't live with out the hollow tool one click and you have a box so make a big one like 3000 units square and then hit the 5 or 6 key for the grid and then that button and boom you have a hollow box. I use it all the time to make rooms and buildings i just block out the size and hollow it then use the clipper tool to cut door windows and whatnot and then cut the bevels for the seems, but you can worry about all that latter.

also other essential keys

shift + L mouse click = normal select

ctrl + shift + L mouse = select face (usually for texturing)

alt + shift + L mouse = deselect current and select what the mouse is over

esc = deselect

h = hide selected

shift + h = unhide all

and

i = invert selection

also in the view menu are filters for various things that help

l_d080dc8e19904573acd7ea751b573dbb.jpg

here is a screenshot ive textured the inside with caulk and beveled one corner, with the clipper its the triangle with dots and you put point where u want the cut an push shift+enter to cut the selected brushes - a note is it will texture the cut with whatever texture you have selected, then what i do is reselect the parts im keeping with the shift + L mouse which deselects them and then when you have only the stuff you dont want selected push backspace to delete

make sure to take advantage of the tool tips and just get used to the gui and navigation and play around to see what some of the tools can do, you have figured out how to make a brush, if not just L mouse and drag on the grid view which you can change with the xyz button :)

the gui setup was really weird for me and took some time just to get some basic stuff figured out that should be much easier than it is. but thats what we have to work with for editing maps there are a lot of little tricks like this, and IMO its much easier to clip stuff for the most part then to even resize it, of course at some point you have to use the resize tool thats the QE button then select a brush and push E, like i said the gui is really wack

also an important thing to understand it that the caulk texture is a non-drawing texture which takes a load off the comp and game engine for hidden stuff you cant see anywhere, you should also read the section on structural vs detail brushes in the 2-bit tutorial for some other things that are important from the beginning.

Edited by GlasShadow

• 1 year later...

First i wanna start off by saying if this topic is in the wrong place please move it.

Ok, i have decided of making a map and i read on the forums about Gtk Radient, But from what i learned you need way more things then that to make a map such as goldrush, oasis, etc.

so my question is if you guys can list the things i need to make a map? and while you guys are at it can you tell me what would you want in the map?

P.S. - Can you guys tell me how to spot glitches in a map so i can fix them

i tried google but no luck :(

-Thanks for taking time to read this

Greetz from =F|A= Fb!N!nJa :thanks

maps like oasis, goldrush.... those maps have been made by profesional map makers... if you didn't make any maps and you don't know how to use gtkradiant there's no way to build maps like that but you can try with smaller maps... how to make a map its all in youtube or http://www.pythononline.co.uk/et/tutorial.htm good luck!!!