Monitor brightness dark and won't adjust

ecLipse~

Hi. I have a problem, I use laptop but I have HDMI to hook up to my monitor to laptop. because the backlights of my laptop broke and I don't have money to get that fixed, everything was fine with this external monitor, but when I heard my laptop overheating (the fans were real loud and it was really hot) I decided to power my laptop off with the power button, I waited an hour and turned it back on, and now the external monitor is dark and won't go up, its stuck on a very dim brightness and I can hardly see anything.

Did I mess something up? Can I fix this?

oh god man. hope you didnt damage GPU components in the heat. well, do you have brightness keys on the keyboard? doubt it'll change anything but it may. worried for that GPU man :(

Is the monitor dim altogether, or just when hooked up to the laptop? I would start by testing the monitor. 

I tell people all the time that laptops don't get enough air circulation to function properly for long periods of time. I highly recommend fan pads for your laptop. And never-ever leave it on a couch, bed, or carpet (I'm not saying that's what you did).

I hope all is OK

• Like 1

oh god man. hope you didnt damage GPU components in the heat. well, do you have brightness keys on the keyboard? doubt it'll change anything but it may. worried for that GPU man :(

Nah it's not my GPU, thank god :)

Is the monitor dim altogether, or just when hooked up to the laptop? I would start by testing the monitor. 

I tell people all the time that laptops don't get enough air circulation to function properly for long periods of time. I highly recommend fan pads for your laptop. And never-ever leave it on a couch, bed, or carpet (I'm not saying that's what you did).

I hope all is OK

yeah turns out it was the monitor itself, it's permanently dark on all other computers, I guess it's just too old... but weird, it was working for weeks on my laptop and suddenly after that it's dark....

I found a spare monitor I didn't know I had in my house, so I'm using this with an HDMI plug with DVI on the end (since this monitor doesn't support hdmi, I needed a dvi plug) and it seems to be working fine...

Using one of these:

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/StarTech.com-HDMI-to-DVI-D-Video-Cable-Adapter-video-adapter-HDMI-DVI/2878039.aspx?cm_cat=GoogleBase&cm_ite=2878039&cm_pla=NA-NA-STP_CC&cm_ven=ShoppingFeeds&ef_id=UyBN4gAAAMzY@xZh:20140312120658:s&gclid=CLDyuuP6jL0CFUuXOgoduBwAcQ

• Like 1

while it sucks that your monitor is out, I'm glad it wasn't your GPU. BTW, if you have an extra HDMI cable lying around, test the broken monitor with it. I have a suspicion that the cable might have just gone bad.

while it sucks that your monitor is out, I'm glad it wasn't your GPU. BTW, if you have an extra HDMI cable lying around, test the broken monitor with it. I have a suspicion that the cable might have just gone bad.

Yeah I'll try that

lmao. glad you found a decent spare monitor...cus normally when people find monitors in the house they didnt know they had, its a CRT monitor >.< :P

my closet is full of junk lol that was the first place I ran to when my monitor was acting all messed up, hoping I could find some cables/spare monitor and I did :)