Young and Educated in Europe, but Desperate for Jobs

Joku_.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/16/world/europe/youth-unemployement-in-europe.html?hp&_r=2&

It is a studied fact that every recession leaves its marks on society. One of these marks are the lost age classes. In Finland it is estimated that the age classes between 85-89 born men are the "victims" of this recession. Al though, the article concentrates on the poor south, calling the north prosperous and full of jobs, it's not that merry in here either. Our percentages are not nearly as high, about 25 %, as those in the south, but the increase is very rapid at the moment.

One of the points I would like to make, is that for a long time there has been a saying that there is no better unemployment protection as education, in other words, the higher the education is the lower the unemployment percentages are. But this has changed during the past years, and since the first small recession came in 2008 there has been a sharp increase in the unemployment rates of highly educated people, such as those that have master's degree, as I do. Of course, this is partly to the fact that the proportion of highly educated people in the society have increased, which is partly the reason that has lead to the fact that there are more of them also unemployed.

I guess what I am saying, if you read between the lines, there is such vast knowledge of mental, physical, social problems and issues towards society that unemployment causes. And it is also said to cause much more and this fact is also recognized by the decision makers in their campaigns, articles etc, but nothing still happens. No decisions that makes it easier, only those that increase the need of "relationships" if you want your career to get started. For instance, in Finland they removed the internship money that guaranteed for you to get half a year in a work place, after you graduate, that benefits your career. But it also helped you to get your show between the door. Without it one is left alone, increasing in a long term very aggressively the need for someone who you know inside the government organization. It does not feel like living in a country that is top 3 in the less corrupted countries in the world, I can only imagine the pain of those in the south-Europe.

• Like 3

Living in the Netherlands, I have two very important additions to your statement on "no better unemployment protection as education".

Education on itself isn't enough. I've known many people with a masters degree, however only few of them find jobs in their area. There is no money for the alpha or gamma studies (art, psychology).

On the other hand, education can work against you. I've been rejected by multiple companies on being over educated. My bachelor is what they'd wanted (of a university of applied science), a master is only extra money put in someone's theoretical knowledge, why pay for that?

I agree that education is a solution, but stating education is the solution isn't true. I know my company, about 1000 employees in the Netherlands, has 50 vacancies open for full time employees; but can't find them and hence is also looking across the border. But they aren't simply interested in everyone with a master; although everyone with a MSc comes close® :P

• Like 1

On the other hand, education can work against you. I've been rejected by multiple companies on being over educated. My bachelor is what they'd wanted (of a university of applied science), a master is only extra money put in someone's theoretical knowledge, why pay for that?

I agree that education is a solution, but stating education is the solution isn't true. I know my company, about 1000 employees in the Netherlands, has 50 vacancies open for full time employees; but can't find them and hence is also looking across the border. But they aren't simply interested in everyone with a master; although everyone with a MSc comes close® :P

I agree with you completely and my point was merely the argument that the Ministry of Employment and the Economy has been stating for the past decades and still is. There is a need to change those beliefs and false premises that they are based upon. Because of this overly educated or still too low educated problem I am facing a decision that will probably lead for me to do another specialized master's degree. One would think that the government would realize the need and if not the need then the  money this problem is causing them, because university education is not cheap to say the least.

I've also been rejected because I am overly educated, which is one of the most painful experience to have as a person who wants their career to get started. I could also talk about the problems concerning the usage of interns that results in a loss for starting positions for those in my shoes. This leads once again to the situation that you need work experience in order to get a job in your area, but all starting positions are reserved for interns or those who have "relationships". Of course my point of view concerns mostly the possibilities to work for the government. Al though, I completely agree with your arguments especially about the salary factor that is more than valid and pressing for the private side.

And please tell what kind of area is the company you are working with operating, so that I can come and work there and don't need to do another Master's degree x D

• Like 1

I'm working in the computer science for a Dutch multinational, but there's also a lot of interest for mechanical and/or electrical engineers. In those work area's in the Netherlands, but also across the border, are companies very interested in you.

• Like 1