Chromebooks

ajnl

Hey everyone, I am looking into buying a new laptop. Normally I would buy a macbook pro, but I don't have the money for that now.

The other problem is that I really do not want to get a windows laptop, so I decided to look into getting a chromebook.

The only thing I want to use it for is internet, documents, powerpoints, excel, etc. No gaming or photo/video editing. (basically just for school stuff)

Does anyone have experience using a chromebook for school or even work? Does switching between google docs and microsoft word work well? Is it possible to install Microsoft word on a chromebook?

This is the chromebook I was looking into. It has good ratings and is only $250. Plus newegg is selling it for $30 less.

You cannot install office on chromebook. I have never used one as my primary device, so I won't comment on the rest.

So you have used one before? What did you think? 

:o..i didn't even know chromebooks exist

:), well now you know!

I'm thinking of buying one as well. I just need a cheap laptop that runs smoothly. I read that it does go from Google drive (or docs) format to Microsoft word format without a problem.

Yeah I've read the same. Plus I found out you can use the microsoft word web app too.

alright, well I got the chromebook. So I will let you know what I think. So far it is pretty cool, just don't expect a high power laptop of course ;)

A friend of mine has a chromebook but later installed linux onto it. Apparently its better, I'm not quite sure, haven't used either.

If your interested here's a link to why you should install linux and how to do it:

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-install-linux-on-a-chromebook-and-unlock-its-ful-509039343

A friend of mine has a chromebook but later installed linux onto it. Apparently its better, I'm not quite sure, haven't used either.

If your interested here's a link to why you should install linux and how to do it:

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-install-linux-on-a-chromebook-and-unlock-its-ful-509039343

Pretty cool, but I doubt i'll do that