Illinois teen killed same day sister sat behind Obama

brynne

a82ba35b0b87649436bdad0d61e5e_h366_w650_m6_lfalse.jpg

Janay McFarlane, 18, was shot and killed in North Chicago Friday only hours after her 14-year-old sister sat on a stage behind President Barack Obama as he talked about gun control.

CHICAGO — An 18-year-old Chicago woman was killed the same day her sister had sat on the stage behind President Barack Obama, listening to him push for gun control legislation.

Janay McFarlane was shot once in the head around 11:30 p.m. Friday in North Chicago, Lake County Coroner Thomas Rudd told the Chicago Sun-Times. McFarlane, a mother of a 3-month-old boy, was in the Chicago suburb visiting friends and family.

North Chicago police said two people are being questioned in connection with McFarlane's death, but no charges have been filed.

"I really feel like somebody cut a part of my heart out," Angela Blakely, McFarlane's mother, said.

Blakely said the bullet that killed McFarlane was meant for a friend.

Hours earlier, McFarlane's 14-year-old sister was feet from Obama at Hyde Park Career Academy, where he spoke about gun violence and paid tribute to Hadiya Pendleton, the 15-year-old honor student fatally shot last month in a South Side park. Police have said it was a case of mistaken identity, and two people have been charged.

Pendleton's death was one of more than 40 homicides in Chicago in January, a total that made it the deadliest January in the city in more than a decade. Pendleton, a drum majorette, had recently performed during Obama's inauguration and the slaying happened about a mile from his Chicago home.

Blakely told the newspaper that Janay McFarlane had been affected by Pendleton's death.

"She always said after Hadiya Pendleton got killed, 'Momma that's so sad,'" Blakely said. "She was always touched by any kid that got killed. She was always touched by mothers who couldn't be there for their babies because they were gone."

McFarlane was supposed to graduate from an alternative school this spring, Blakely said, and wanted to go into the culinary arts.

"I'm just really, truly just trying to process it — knowing that I'm not taking my baby home anymore," Blakely said.

gun control? in my opinion, should be banned completely. may need to do psychological testing once a year for those who want to have ... he already do not know. but you can see that it is not for fun

Another topic to turn into a pro/anti gun rant. <sigh>

Chicago- home of the gun ban.

I hear all about how the government wants to take away the guns from law abiding citizens (like Chicago), but none..... not 1..... has told me how they are going to take them away from criminals.

Until that happens..... from my cold dead hands.

gun control? in my opinion, should be banned completely. may need to do psychological testing once a year for those who want to have ... he already do not know. but you can see that it is not for fun

Yes... Guns should be banned specialy in USA. I'm sorry if I anyone objected before.But that's what I think.

Edited by !Felix!

*insert anti gun argument here*

Life in USA's getting more and more dangerous (or maybe it was already the case, but not as shown in the media), people are killed by mistake, children are killed in their school, etc.

Anyways another orphan and another family who lost a member. RIP.