Japan bluefin tuna fetches record $1.7m

brynne

A single bluefin tuna has sold in Japan for 155m yen

($1.7m; £1.05m), almost triple the record price set last year.

_65088493_0dpayddi.jpg

Kiyoshi Kimura stumped up almost three

times as much as he did last year

High bids traditionally mark the year's first auction at Tokyo's Tsukiji fish market.

Even the buyer, sushi chain owner Kiyoshi Kimura, who also paid out the record price last year, said the cost was "a bit high".

The sale came amid continued warnings from environmentalists that tuna stocks are dwindling and overfished.

'Encourage Japan'

This year's record-breaking fish was caught off north-eastern Japan and weighed in at 222kg (489lbs), some 47kg lighter than last year's prize-winner, which fetched 56m yen.

The prices do not necessarily reflect quality or size and are more linked to publicity and setting the tone for the business year.

The auction at the market - which trades millions of dollars of products daily and is a popular tourist destination - began at 05:00 local time

Mr Kimura immediately carted his purchase off to a nearby branch of his Sushi Zanmai chain.

He said he wanted to "encourage Japan" with his bid

The price works out at about $7,600 per kg ($3,500/lb).

Japan consumes more than half of the world's bluefin catch.

New figures to be released on Monday are expected to show a continued decline in Pacific bluefin stocks.

Amanda Nickson, of the Pew Environmental Group's global tuna conservation campaign, told Associated Press news agency: "Everything we're hearing is that there's no good news for the Pacific bluefin. We're seeing a very high value fish continue to be overfished."

• Like 1

Yeah the population of Blue fin tuna in the world its almost extint...so its not a good news..

Yup. But lets hope fisher farmers makes good work:)

i know but the value its not the same and you got to spend to win after...so for the ilegal fishermans this is not even an opition..sad but true

good that sea shepherd try to stop them and many others..bad there is no other org's like S.Shepherd

i know but the value its not the same and you got to spend to win after...so for the ilegal fishermans this is not even an opition..sad but true

good that sea shepherd try to stop them and many others..bad there is no other org's like S.Shepherd

True. The value is not so as catch fish from naturally sea. You have to bought it some shop. Not same. Even alot ppls dont know what feeleing it give when you get your fish yourself from sea or other places.

I saw from news japaneses catching sharks for they sharp. Its they favorite food there and making shoup from it. Also show the rich status or somthing. Often when they celebrate somthing.

Ps. Sry my english not good but atleast i try.:)

Yes i know but...cientists confirm that the Shark fin soup its just a mith nothing more..tests confirm that it do nothing to a human..

they even eat dolphin...its a disgrace to the planet...they dont care if the fish is disapeering or not..they just say its tradicion..:/

Yes i know but...cientists confirm that the Shark fin soup its just a mith nothing more..tests confirm that it do nothing to a human..

they even eat dolphin...its a disgrace to the planet...they dont care if the fish is disapeering or not..they just say its tradicion..:/

I cuse from there comes hight prices too what secondly gonna make fisher mans more work to get more money and they forget poor fishis:(

This reminds me of only one thing

http://www.seashepherd.org/

and Whale Wars

they did a special where they stop (I think it is blue fin tuna fishing) in the Mediterranean.

I hope the prices continue to go up to discourage overfishing.

Yup that is what i talked about.