400-Pound Black Bear Tranquilized in La Crescenta

Spitfire

LA CRESCENTA, Calif. (KTLA) -- A 400-pound black bear has been relocated in the wild after being captured while roaming around a neighborhood in La Crescenta Tuesday morning.

Authorities say they believe the 3-year old bear is the same one that's been spotted in the area several times over the past month.

Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies received a call about a bear sighting around 3 a.m. Tuesday in the 2800 block of

Manhattan

Avenue.

La Crescenta Station sheriff's deputies and the Glendale Police Department responded.

"We did locate about a 400 pound bear in this immediate area," sheriff's Sgt. Mark Slater told KTLA. "He's been wandering through the residential area for the last several hours."

For a time, the bear was contained in a backyard in the 2300 block of Mayfield Avenue, while authorities waited for Fish & Game to arrive.

But the bear then left the yard and wandered out onto Briggs Avenue, just south of Mayfield.

There was a heart-pounding moment when a resident Vaz Terdandenyan came face-to-face with the animal in his driveway.

He was texting before he looked up and spotted the animal, then quickly turned and ran away.

"I got up this morning from helicopter noise and I was trying to see what was going on," Terdandenyan told KTLA.

"I was texting my boss that I would be late for work because something is going on, and I'm coming down the stairs and I see the bear coming up the stairs toward me."

"I turned back and I ran for my life. I guess running for a marathon came in handy because I was in shape to run away!"

The bear did not display any signs of aggression.

He then climbed over a fence into a neighboring yard.

Department of Fish & Game officials arrived at the scene a short time later.

They shot the bear with at least three tranquilizer darts.

The bear was able to knock two darts out before they took full effect, Sgt. Slater said.

After the bear fell asleep, they loaded him into a 'culvert trap,' which Fish & Game said is the safest way to transport the large animal.

He was released deep in the Angeles National Forest. The exact location is not being disclosed.

Authorities believe this may be the same bear that broke into a garage last month and pried open a refrigerator to snack on some frozen meatballs.

That happened on March 14 at a home in the 3700 block of Beechglen Drive.

KTLA cameras discovered the bear's return later that same day, and then again the following morning and night.

A black bear was also spotted in the 3700 block of Cedarbend Drive in Glendale over the weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmhvdtX72eQ&feature=player_embedded

Source:http://www.ktla.com/...0,5028301.story

Edited by Spitfire