external hard disk

Borstel

I have sometimes a question :)

I have a PC & laptop. The external hard disk was always connected to PC. When I have too lain down a laptop, I briefly wanted to connect because of photo the external hard disk to laptop. The laptop does not leave the external hard disk. If the external hard disk has connected as a result again to PC. For some time my PC did not leave the external hard disk also any more. I did not need software with the PC instal. Where come on it can lie the external hard disk any more does not run? how can I save the data?

PC runs with Windows xp

Laptop with Win7

Borstel, I will do my best to help you. It is difficult because I can't see the problem myself. I've had a couple of problems similar to this in the past. I believe it's either a hardware failure or it's from moving the drive between your 2 different operating systems. Below is a blog from "Tomshardware.com". This is similar to what I used to fix my issue, I hope this helps:

Paperdoc   09-10-2010 at 09:45:32 PM

1. How is the drive connected to your laptop? By USB2, perhaps? What about when you connect to other computers - the same connection method? In each case are the required drivers for that system installed? I fully expect any USB drivers ARE installed, but don't know whether that's how you are connecting.

2. How do you know it is "not recognized"?

(a) When you connect it up, are there any lights that turn on? Do you hear any mechanical sounds from the external unit?

(B) Where do you look in your laptop? In My Computer, does it simply not show up there?

© Click on Start ... Control Panel ... System ... Device Manager. Can you see the device in Disk Drives, or in the USB device listing? If so, does it have any Caution tags on it? If you right-click and ask for its Properties, what does that say?

(d) Back out of all that. Click on Start, then RIGHT-click on My Computer, click on Manage. In the left pane expand Storage if necessary and click on Disk Management. Look in the LOWER RIGHT pane and scroll through all the hardware devices it shows there. Do you see that external drive there? If not, you have a hardware problem.

(e) IF you can see the unit in Disk Management's lower right pane, look at the main block which has info on it. It will show a Volume Name like MyDisk or something, a Windows letter name like E:, a size, a File System like NTFS, and a status. What are those? If it simply has no letter name you can assign one by right-clicking on it. If its File System is shown as "RAW", you have a little corrupted info in the disk control files. It may ask if you want to Format the disk and you are right to NOT do that.

3. Does it display the same info if you connect it to another PC?

4. IF the unit lights up but does not show anywhere as a valid piece of hardware, it is still possible that the HDD inside it is OK with good data, and the problem is with the case - its power supply or communication interface chips. If that is the case, a simple way to check is to open the external case, uninstall the HDD unit inside, then install it temporarily in a desktop PC. BUT your external unit MAY be one designed for use with laptops, and those have slightly different connectors on the, you you would need an adapter to make the connections to the desktop machine. But if you can do that, a good HDD will just show up like any other installed HDD. If that happens you can look more closely at the empty case as the culprit.

Message quoted 1 times

Message edited by Paperdoc on 09-10-2010 at 09:49:11 PM"

already thanks for the answer :)

tomorrow I will pose the problem, as you have written. can you recommend me software with which I screens can make?

as far as I have understood, I can already exclude 1. external hard disk runs. it is found only not with the PC or laptop.

a friend has meant, one could also connect the external hard disk as the normal second hard disk. would something like that go?

Yes, you can connect it a as a second drive. It's easy to do on a desktop...would need more info if you were gonna try to do this with a laptop. As far a (recovery?)software goes, I couldn't tell you as I've never used any. Anyone have any ideas?

Yesterday I sat in it and have tried a little bit. The problem is same with the laptop and PC.

However, the external hard disk runs it is not indicated under job. I have looked under device manager. there it is also not indicated me. USB connections are visible. As a result I have gone to a friend and have connected there briefly. also does not indicate although he also external disk drive & hard disk has. I think the external hard disk is dead :(