Heroes of Newerth (now Free to Play!)

Artisan

Well guys, Heroes of Newerth is now free to play. It's a DOTA-style game (similar to League of Legends, the Storm of the Imperial Sanctum SC2 map, etc), and until a couple days ago required a subscription. Now they are taking a more League of Legends-style approach with a store for skins and heroes (but spending real money gives no advantage).

Just curious if anyone else plays/what do you think of it.

My IGN is Artisan. I'll probably be giving it more of a try over the next few days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhoQxjMGoNo

:rolleyes: They are both based off of DOTA, a Warcraft 3 mod, and so they are both copying off of that really. I've played a few more games and think I'll continue playing it.

PRO'S:

• Graphics are better
  • There are in-game guides so you don't have to tab out to figure what to level next
  • The ingame guides will level your skills automatically
  • You can also buy items right out of the guides
  • There's a consumable that lets you eat a tree to gain HP xD
  • You can pick what region you want to play in(for less lag)
  • There's different game modes for hero selection to spice things up(after you hit level 5)
  • You get a whole bunch of statistics and stuff which is cool
  • Hero list can be sorted by many categories to find similar heroes, as I said before guides are available which is really nice
  • In game voice, but hardly ever used to my low experience
  • Clan system(albeit I have no exp with it)

CON'S:

• The heroes are smallish and glow funny - harder to tell what hero it is(probably just because I'm a noob)
  • Hero skills don't seem to be as obvious/flamboyant, harder to tell what's going on till you get used to it
  • Every person has a different color, but there is no team identification for heroes - hard to differentiate friend from foe
  • There doesn't seem to be a nice leaving/reporting system in place - I've had a few games with d/c's and rage quits and bleh

Also - kills steal gold, so the killer gains gold and the killed loses gold (idk if the person who died loses all that the killer gains or what - don't pay that much attention).

I played it back when it was still in beta, it was just a round or 2 as my PC couldn't run it well. I played DOTA for a while before I tried it out, and concept is about 90% same, but I liked DOTA more.