Tips?

Piglet

So I just got TF2 today, and I've just been playing Offline Practice with normal difficulty bots.. I've mainly been using Pyro, but I switch to Medic/Engineer/Sniper when those roles aren't being filled by the bots... So any tips for me? I know that the flamethrower has a secondary fire, but it hasn't been much use to me.. Also, how do you obtain new guns? I've gotten a level 10 sniper called the Bazaar Bargain, but I just obtained it through regular offline practice. Also, keep in mind that I don't know anything (aside from what's in the tutorials, Thomas' "How to Play" and what I mentioned above).

You get new weapons through a few methods:

1: Achievement milestones. Each class has achievements specific to that class and milestone achievements for completing a certain amount of the achievements for that class. Each milestone will give you a specific weapon. Achievements cannot be unlocked in offline play.

2: Trade. You can trade items with other players, though I think you have to have some sort of "premium" account to do that.

3: Random drop. The game will randomly assign a drop to you every so often. Almost every item in the game is available from random drop.

4: Crates. Occasionally the game will assign a weapon crate to you instead of an actual item. These crates require keys to unlock and have a limited range of items that can be contained. Keys can be obtained from...

5: The store. With a few exceptions, you can buy any item in the store. This is the only way I'm aware of to get keys to unlock crates. It's also the quickest and most reliable way to get a specific item. Of course, it requires actual money.

Other than that, what kind of tips are you looking for?

-RoGue

If you are looking to get new weapons, the milestones provide 3 original tier weapons for each class(new weapons are built off of them)

The drop rate for items is an estimated 8-10 per week you can only get x ammount of items a week because people abused idling with the old drop system but that doesnt matter to you.

so you will randomly recieve items, drops are reset every Wednesday at 5:00 p.m. Pacific standard

there are rare items ( hats and misc items) in your load out they are equipped on the right side, these items are rather rare compared to weapons , and some more rare than others. all in all if you get a hat,misc item dont trade it for weapons because you can trade it for metal and a lot more weapons :)

I got the bear gloves for the Heavy, and a Ghastlier Gibus... And in your guys' opinion, which is the best class to start with?

Pyro,Demonman .... Heavy if you don't mind moving slow

If you're good at grenade launching, the Loch-and-Load is rather good, being able to one- or two-shot most classes, and requiring three to four shots (usually) to kill heavies, (may very on amount of medic or the heavies health or dispensers and so.) The Scottish Resistance (another sticky launcher) is good at holding key points. With it, you're able to control which bombs you want to blow up when you do, and you get to have an increased amount of them out at a time (Think it was 14?).

And then, well, you can go with the melee set. Chargin' Targe/Splendid Screen, Ali Baba's Wee Booties and one of the melee weapons. I prefer the Persian Persuader (like the most demomen I see), or simply mix 'n match the items. (ex. sticky launcher + loch-and-load and a melee weapon, good for killing snipers on maps like Harvest or Lakeside.)

I think demoman's one of the harder classes to start with. It requires a lot of practice to get the aim and timing of his weapons. You also need a good knowledge of the map to make use of choke points and prevent your sticky ambushes from being flanked. Weapon wise, I use the default set pretty much. I use the frying pan as a melee but that's really just a remodel of the default bottle (even has the same taunt, which is kinda funny). I don't find much use for the either the "loch and load" or the "scottish resistance" as I find that most of my troubles are from fast, close range attackers and both of those weapons are less effective against them with the former's low clip size and the latter's increased grenade activation time. Against slower enemies you can make use of shooting around cover to protect yourself from incoming damage.

Heavy is fairly simple as it's mostly about positioning and staying alert for snipers and spies. Soldier is easier to aim than the demoman since his rockets go in straight lines and the "black box" gives health on successful hit, increasing survivability. I'd recommend those classes to start with. Scout and pyro are simple as well. Demoman, medic, spy, and engineer are what I consider more advanced classes. But that's just me.

-RoGue

I've kinda given up on pyro... I dunno, I think I prefer the Soldier and the Demoman. Agreed, Demoman is a fairly hard class to play, but with a bit of luck (and blind enemies) your sticky mines give satisying multikills.

Also, if anyone has duplicates of anything and/or want to give something away to someone in need (which would be me) My steam name is walrusmcpigling, but my screename is

=F|A= Piglet... I've got a couple of items..(Heavy's furry claw gloves, the bazaar bargain, the fan o' war, the ghastly gibus)

*Sigh* nevermind... I can't trade, but people can give things away to me

I've kinda given up on pyro... I dunno, I think I prefer the Soldier and the Demoman. Agreed, Demoman is a fairly hard class to play, but with a bit of luck (and blind enemies) your sticky mines give satisying multikills.

Also, if anyone has duplicates of anything and/or want to give something away to someone in need (which would be me) My steam name is walrusmcpigling, but my screename is

=F|A= Piglet... I've got a couple of items..(Heavy's furry claw gloves, the bazaar bargain, the fan o' war, the ghastly gibus)

*Sigh* nevermind... I can't trade, but people can give things away to me

i believe we need gift wrap to give you items, which im not going to do considering i have to pay $$ for giftwrap :3

I played back when there were no "special" weapons really, way before the soldier, demoman even got their first weapon, to be honest unless you are trying to fulfill a specific role in like arena, or play style you like you don't need anything other than the starting loadout weapons :) for example when i play as demoman i use standard Grenade launcher, sticky launcher and a Ullapool Caber (german WWI potato masher grenade when you smack people you both blow up)

You can fullfill the roles, but you'd do better with the newer weapons, as most are op as hell. The few exceptions to this rule are Scouts, as the Scattergun is still the boss weapon, Demomen, as the grenade launcher and stickybomb launcher are just so versatile that you really need nothing else, and Engies, as the default setup is pretty much what everyone uses anyways.

Persoanlly, I'm playing a lot of pyro because of the strange powerjack and flare gun I have, and because I just love my pet head slime Squishy. He's so cute and adorable :3