Car problem's? Look here for help

Timberwolf

Bought a used car? want to save some bucks and do it yourself? Free advice :

When i bought my first used car ( 1983 trans am) 350 V8 It needed lots of work ..I took it to a local shop ..to find out the Heater core was leaking. The part was $60 to have it installed was $450 Money i didn't have ..I thought wow its a small lookalike rad ..I could do it myself ..So i bought a car manual for that model of car (look for haynes Manuals or mitchell) North america there at pep boys Canadian tire Napa auto parts ..Walmart or anywhere you get car parts.

Having a full manual shows step by step how to's and what might be the cause of many probelms theres a index of : car over heating, Not starting, backfire, stalling ETC , its a complete tear down of your car with pictures ( price $20 - $30 )

Next thing to buy is a computer scanner ( I have a OBD II scanner for 1994 and newer GM / Ford cars)

Its a little hand held scanner you plug into a termmal under your steering wheel (most cars) and it reads the problem off your cars computer ( when the engine light is on ) your scanner then shows you a letter and a number I.E. ( P-104 ) you then look in a Haynes manual in the fault guide P-100 = Bad O2 senor replace P-101 = Bad fuel pump Replace etc etc etc (Price $80)

Going to a dealership or mech shop flat rate runs from $70/hr to $120/hr when they run a computer on your car ..just to tell you what is wrong with it you pay that price and nothing is done yet then you have to pay for the part an labor and taxs WHY?

anyways those or the two must haves for your car save $$$$

any questions post them or PM me ..I also been doing Autobody for 15 years and custom work for 10 years

Hell yeah another gear head... I am working now on swapping out the IFS (Independent Front Suspension) in my 84 Nissan 720 "Trail Hustler". I am using a full size Ford Dana 44 with 5.13 gears and matching Ford 9" rear. Going for 10-12" of lift, running a 36-12.50-15 tire. I will post pics tomorrow when the sun is up. B) Thing looks like a pregnant roller skate lols

Hell yeah another gear head... I am working now on swapping out the IFS (Independent Front Suspension) in my 84 Nissan 720 "Trail Hustler". I am using a full size Ford Dana 44 with 5.13 gears and matching Ford 9" rear. Going for 10-12" of lift, running a 36-12.50-15 tire. I will post pics tomorrow when the sun is up. B) Thing looks like a pregnant roller skate lols

Good to go with the dana and 9" rear 5.13 gears?? wow I had 3.73's in the T/A and 4.10's in my mustang..hwy miles sucked up the gas ..and not gears you want for winter Felt like the car was pulling even at a red light with the brakes on lol

P.s. The trans am use to have a pair of rollerskates in the trunk :shock:

My project is a 94 Camaro Z28... it was running but I blew a head gasket. Unfortunately it's nearly impossible to get the engine out of the top even after you remove the hood (the factory installs them from the bottom), so it's been a project in progress for about two years now. It used to pull under 12 seconds stock engine. Put a lot of work into that car.

4 Camaro Z28 woot ??? nice you gonna put new stuff on it?

Gotta throw new wheels on there (I'll probably go Torq Thrusts) and I'll probably redo the top end; LT4 intake, custom cam (there's a good shop right by my parents' house), hardware, then some nice headers to compliment the Flowmaster. Here's what it looks like ATM (yes, it's an auto, I have the shifting shortened, and yes, I can drive a stick, this car was the right price, and as you can see it's in great condition):

claiborne.jpg

frontsmall.jpg

IM000462.jpg

IM000461.jpg

Here is my SAS so far. Just waiting on my springs and shocks to get here.

DSC00471.jpg?t=1248552421

DSC00472.jpg?t=1248552557

The truck will sit about 6 inches higher when completed. This is as high as my jack stand will go. The new axles are 12" wider than stock :D

DSC00476.jpg?t=1248552668

DSC00475.jpg?t=1248552661

Here is my Cardamain link if you want to see other facts about the truck and how i got this far.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3196511

Number1dad If your looking to upgrade the top end Remember Air/fuel/spark/exsaust. If you upgrade you have to upgrade the others or it does little ..MSD coil pack and 8.8 wires and NGK plugs is a great way to start in the spark class. Cold intake LT-1 intake maybe even a small porting and polish and a 58 mm throttle body for Air. 255iph fuel pump and 24 pound injectors leaves you with a nitro add on if you want to go that route later (1.6 rollerockers) help free up a pony or two. And headers with 3" pipes for the vroommmm My IROC use to have 373. gears nice hoppy ratio from start ..sucked driving highway loved gas ...oh yeah make friends with a transmission guy cause if your upgrading 4L60E's are crap look into a 700R4 or the best TH350

don't for get your computer chip get it tuned maybe a superchip all this and you will see a big diff Nice looking car

My dream T/A :

Thunder Wholieeeee cow! lol that wheel base legal in your state? I know here If a cop seen it or the minstry of transportion seen it boom pull over TOWED i think 1" out is the most and 2" from top of the tire to the fender

I got pocket fender flairs. lol 4" deap and tires stick out 6" on each side. So I got 2" over. With 12" of lift its not going to be too noticeable I hope. But you should see some of the crazy redneck rigs driving on the roads around here. This is mild. lol

I can go 29" from bottom of bumper to the ground and still be legal. I am sure cops are going to f*** with me though, thats just the way it is.

demotivational_poster_lifted_trucks.jpg

Number1dad If your looking to upgrade the top end Remember Air/fuel/spark/exsaust. If you upgrade you have to upgrade the others or it does little ..MSD coil pack and 8.8 wires and NGK plugs is a great way to start in the spark class. Cold intake LT-1 intake maybe even a small porting and polish and a 58 mm throttle body for Air. 255iph fuel pump and 24 pound injectors leaves you with a nitro add on if you want to go that route later (1.6 rollerockers) help free up a pony or two. And headers with 3" pipes for the vroommmm My IROC use to have 373. gears nice hoppy ratio from start ..sucked driving highway loved gas ...oh yeah make friends with a transmission guy cause if your upgrading 4L60E's are crap look into a 700R4 or the best TH350

don't for get your computer chip get it tuned maybe a superchip all this and you will see a big diff Nice looking car

My dream T/A :

Thunder Wholieeeee cow! lol that wheel base legal in your state? I know here If a cop seen it or the minstry of transportion seen it boom pull over TOWED i think 1" out is the most and 2" from top of the tire to the fender

Almost all taken care of already. I have a K&N CAI, my computer has been custom tuned and I have my own USB/OBD I so I can order custom tunes over the web, I know a guy that will do them for $50 and I can send him dyno sheets and he'll tune according to them. I'm gonna wait for my tranny to die before doing a TH350 swap, I agree that the 4L60E is a piece of shit. I've got all the ideas, that car was my life for a while, money is a problem though since I gotta pay my way through school.

I miss my camaro. Had an 81 with a 355 smallblock with a tunnel ram and dual holleys, M-22 with a Hust comp shifter and 12 bold with 4.56 gears and a spool. I had a blast in that car till I wrecked it hard on the way home from the track. I ended up selling the motor trans and rear about 8 years ago. I haven't been able to scrape up the money to get another decent car since.