graphics cards

pkrgod

Was looking to add a graphics card to my computer due to the fact that right now I only have integrated graphics.

Not looking to break the bank but was looking for some suggestions.

Here is one I saw, any ideas or comments on it let me know. Looking it this price range although I did see the same on on Compusa's website for alot less. I do not do a ton of gaming as a matter of fact its pretty much ET as I have little time between work, my daughter and my wife.

My link

Could you post your motherboard specs, as not all Video cards may work with your current board.

And here's that same video card, much cheaper: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133320&Tpk=PNY%20-%20GeForce%20210%201GB%20DDR2%20PCI%20Express%202.0%20Graphic

:blink: YIKES ! ... your Motherboard only has 2 PCI-e x1 expansion slots ...

THAT Video card, and about 99.9% of ALL other cards on the market will NOT fit on your Mother board sorry to tell you.

Plus you've got an HP Slimline case which means usually you'd need a low profile Video Card as well, most standard cards would be too tall to fit in your case ...

this is going to be a VERY LIMITED number of graphics cards that will work for you.

Something like these ...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129152 ... ATI Radeon HD 4350 = $110.00

14-129-152-TSS300W.jpg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500164 ... NVIDIA ION GPU (I don't have a clue about these ?) = $60.00

14-500-164-TSS300W.jpg

Honestly, I don't know if it would be worth it ... IF I were you, I'd save the money and budget for an upgraded computer system down the road,

because I'm not sure you'll get much of an increase over your integrated graphics (which is an ATI Radeon 3000 GPU) that are part of your motherboard,

it's a tough call and your options are severly limited with your current computer.

May not be the advice you wanted to hear, but I hope it helps :), good luck.

Depending on how much system RAM you have installed, you might consider allocating more system RAM for your video chipset to use, that might help a little.

Your board supports 4g with a 32 bit system, and 8g with a 64 bit system.

With the limited Gaming you do, I think your best bet, would be to save the money for a future PC upgrade. ET should run fine at lower FPS, with 512mb video memory. I know people using even less video memory than that.

But to spend $60 or even $100 on a video card, that will only give you up to 512mb RAM is a bit nuts. I upgraded my onboard video to a 512mb card a few months back, and I didn't notice much of an improvement.

Take that $60, and take your family out to a nice dinner, it'll be much better spent, and enjoyed that way.

Just my .02 cents.

While less than perfect, you could get an x1 to x16 converter (~$50) and run any x16 card over a x1 lane. I'm not suggesting you do that because it's not exactly cost effective (great for custom docking stations though), but that option is at least there.

Try the ATI Radeon 5570. I have a slimline and low voltage PSU. Works great.

Not made in a PCI-e x1 card is it ???

While less than perfect, you could get an x1 to x16 converter (~$50) and run any x16 card over a x1 lane. I'm not suggesting you do that because it's not exactly cost effective (great for custom docking stations though), but that option is at least there.

How does THAT work ? and could he fit THAT PLUS the GfxCard into the small HP Slimeline mini case ???

How does THAT work ?

PCI-E's link negotiation sorts out throttling the x16 card to a x1 link assuming you can connect it physically. Adapters/converters make this easy and are pretty simple to find online. You can also mod the slot or the card if you're feeling brave (not a great idea). Similar adapters to run x16 cards on a x1 link through ExpressCard can also be found (laptop with 5850--yes please?). Powering the card could be a bit hit or miss and there is a bit of a performance hit to think about.

and could he fit THAT PLUS the GfxCard into the small HP Slimeline mini case ???

The converters aren't very large, but most cards are probably too big for the case. As I said, this isn't a great upgrade path to take for rather obvious reasons, but if you were going to do it you could find a card with a shorter, non-standard PCB (Gigabyte makes tons of them) that might fit with the right aftermarket cooler.

Still, I doubt OP's system has a PSU that would safely power anything worth buying. Your recommendation to save for a new system is sound. I only posted so that OP's aware of the (rather esoteric) option.

Edited by NickdoesET

• 4 weeks later...