Internet is crap

CreAtioN

Well I have been lagging bad for 3 weeks now.

Its NOT the computer as its under 2 months old. Its find and can more than easily run black ops.

When i play ET my ping is 500 (No connection interupted)

When someone else in my house uses the inter (Even on an iphone) my ping rises over 800.

I get 100gig a month so thats not the problem...

I wrung up bigpond (Internet provider) and said the internet is fine.

Now they are slack and cant be bothered looking or something else is the problem?

Is there anything I can try to get my ping back to 250.

If you suggest something could you please include a step by step tutorial cause I dont know that much :)

Thanks

Prone

It's Punkbuster.

Punkbuster scans your computer in the background, even when you are not playing any games.

Since Punkbuster has been screwed up, every computer on Earth with Punkbuster installed on it is also screwed up.

Use Control + Alt + Delete to open Task Manager.

Go to the Processes tab.

click on the program Punkbuster A.

Go down to the bottom and click "End Process"

Your computer will instantly run better.

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| WinMTR statistics |

| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |

|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|

| BigPond.BigPond - 0 | 111 | 111 | 2 | 51 | 101 | 81 |

| 172.18.208.5 - 0 | 111 | 111 | 23 | 24 | 28 | 24 |

| 172.18.66.170 - 0 | 111 | 111 | 22 | 24 | 70 | 25 |

| 172.18.239.137 - 0 | 111 | 111 | 22 | 24 | 27 | 25 |

| Bundle-Ether10.chw48.Sydney.telstra.net - 0 | 111 | 111 | 23 | 24 | 35 | 24 |

| 74.125.50.1 - 0 | 111 | 111 | 23 | 27 | 109 | 25 |

| 66.249.95.224 - 0 | 111 | 111 | 23 | 25 | 36 | 26 |

| 64.233.174.242 - 0 | 111 | 111 | 24 | 30 | 38 | 34 |

| syd01s01-in-f104.1e100.net - 0 | 111 | 111 | 22 | 24 | 58 | 25 |

|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|

WinMTR v0.91 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last|

| BigPond.BigPond - 0 | 111 | 111 | 2 | 51 | 101 | 81 |

here it is:

best ping: 2

average: 51

worst: 101

BigPond is your ISP? If so, there you report.

edit: this point does not look good either:

| 74.125.50.1 - 0 | 111 | 111 | 23 | 27 | 109 | 25 |

Edited by anal bomb

If you're absolutely certain it's not your PC or a virus/malicious program or a hacker, it could be that your ISP are nubs and have taken on more customers than their servers can support.

If you have a wireless connection, you should check to make sure that it's setup with WPA2 security. Pretty much all modems and routers come preset to WPA2 these days. But you should check anyways. WEP security on a wireless modem/router is SO easy to crack. Basically, WEP only allows you to use HEX coding as a password (0-9 and A-F). WPA2 let's you put anything you want. If you don't have ANY security on your wireless modem/router, then just anybody capable of receiving a wireless signal in the area could connect to it. If it's set to WPA2, you might want to try changing your password from the default one anyways. You should also be able to find a DHCP table somewhere on your modem's/router's web page that will show you all of the devices connected to your modem/router.

You can check your wireless settings by going to your modem's/router's web page. There are a bunch of different ways to do it.. all depending on what equipment you're using. Usually you can just type in http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.1.0 ..I think those two are the most common. There's also http://192.168.1.254 ..But there are also a bunch of other ways.. one of these MIGHT work for you. If you do one and it connects to something, then asks for a name and password, that's your router/modem. The default names/passwords are usually just "admin". Usually you only need to type it into the password box. Some require you type it into both fields though. Some use other variations like Administrator, or other passwords altogether. Like I said before, it all depends on what kind of modem/router you're using.

Having all of that stuff hooked up WOULD definitely slow it down.. IF the other's are using the internet as well. A rough idea of how to look at it is like this: Those 3 computers alone, using the internet, make any single one of those computers use about 1/3 of your full connection speed when the others are using the net as well. That's just a rough example of course, but you see how adding a lot of devices to the network can split your connection drastically when the other devices are using the net. As for your IPhone's, unless they're using the internet for something it shouldn't matter too much about those. Though, when my little sister connects with her IPOD Touch and the other computer... I lag horribly. So maybe you should try having the IPhone's disconnect from the internet if/when they aren't actually using it. For testing purposes, you should try disconnecting the other 2 computers as well. That way you will basically have 100% of your connection funneled straight to your computer.

Another thing to keep in mind, if one of the other computers is infected with some malicious program, designed to send packets of data or some other kind of information over the internet, that would mostly likely effect the speed of everyone on the network. Be it a virus or spyware of some kind.. I would recommend downloading Malwarebytes' from here:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

and scanning all computers you have on your network.

ALSO! I'm not well versed in these things but, I wouldn't think that using a USB wifi adapter would much effect your speed. Unless it was a very poorly made one, or maybe if the USB was starting to go bad or get dirty. Since you DO use wireless though, you should definitely do what I suggested in my previous post, and check your wireless settings as well as changing your security password. If it's on WPA2 then, it's most likely safe to just leave it as the default password. Personally I like to have my own though.

Well as I am just a user of the Internet I can not do basically anything of that stuff, but are you saying the USB Is slowing it down or isn't? But I've checked and no other devices are connected to the Internet besides what I listed. This is getting very annoying as I like to rate whig almost impossible with 500 ping average on a brand new custom built $2000 computer.

Well as I am just a user of the Internet I can not do basically anything of that stuff, but are you saying the USB Is slowing it down or isn't? But I've checked and no other devices are connected to the Internet besides what I listed. This is getting very annoying as I like to rate whig almost impossible with 500 ping average on a brand new custom built $2000 computer.

The USB probably isn't the problem. In fact, unless you have a pretty decent connection, having all of that stuff using the net at the same time is probably what the problem is.

Maybe it's your neighbor downloading p0rn on Hula through your free wireless service. That streaming video takes a lot of bandwidth lol.

True, true. xD

Can you think of anything at all that may have changed with your local network? A new computer added? Another IPhone or something? If nothing seems to have changed with your local network and it's equipment/setup, including computers and number of devices.. I would call up your ISP again and see if they can provide any information. If your ISP can't provide simple customer support then you should seriously consider switching if possible. To be honest, the fact that it sorta looks like they didn't wanna help you, makes me think it could be their fault.

Also, are you in college or something? Is that why you can't mess with the other devices on the network? If you're in college, their connections are notoriously spotty when a lot of people start using it. Seems unlikely though if you have to call the ISP yourself. Checking and scanning those other computers COULD solve this issue. So if you can somehow manage just to get them to let you put Malwarebytes' on there for ONE full system scan, it's completely free and will do nothing to harm their computers. If it finds something on one, it could very well speed up everyone's connections.

I'm kind of really fatigued right now, and I can't remember if you have, so I seriously don't feel like reading through the topic again to see if you answered this already, but.. do you notice a lag of your connection in your day-to-day computer use? Stream videos slower or download slower? Web-pages loading slower? Anything like that?