New to ET... questions...

farna

Okay, I'm new to ET. I probably won't be a weekly player, just occasional so won't be applying for clan membership. When I try to play I keep getting bumped by PB. Error #20004, Game integrity. I'm using Linux Mint 8 (based on Ubuntu Helena), quad core AMD processor, 4 GB RAM. Been trying to get on "Noobs Forever". Will be making a donation to keep the servers going, won't be playing enough for a VIP membership. I got on a different server ONCE, but can't seem to get on anything again. Have broadband connection.

• Clan Friend

Okay, I'm new to ET. I probably won't be a weekly player, just occasional so won't be applying for clan membership. When I try to play I keep getting bumped by PB. Error #20004, Game integrity. I'm using Linux Mint 8 (based on Ubuntu Helena), quad core AMD processor, 4 GB RAM. Been trying to get on "Noobs Forever". Will be making a donation to keep the servers going, won't be playing enough for a VIP membership. I got on a different server ONCE, but can't seem to get on anything again. Have broadband connection.

hmm linux and pb error #20004, I had it too in the past if I remember correctly, on linux I have 2 folders:

~/.etwolf/pb/

and /usr/local/games/enemy-territory/pb/

You need to update your pb, I think the folder in your home folder is the one you need to update, i.e. run pbweb from there, I don't remember how I solved anymore.

And also make sure all the permissions are ok.

I don't think you need to reinstall et, since that is rarely (never?) needed.

I don't think I HAVE a PB folder! I got the game from www.playdeb.net. Says it's version 2.60b+pb2.213-1~getdeb1. I did install pb, but darned if I can find a folder anywhere. Looked in my home folder and in usr/games, and everywhere else I could think of. I'm relatively new to Linux, been using it for about a year, but with Mint you don't have to mess around with the system much. Not too familiar with the files system, which is a bit screwy compared to Windows. I know, Windows file system seems screwed up to long time Linux users -- just what ya get used to. I REALLY find the messages that I can't do this or that annoying, but understand the danger of running as "super user" all the time...

I tried going to the PB website and figured I could just reinstall PB, but apparently not. Did get the HTML update files, just got to figure out where the heck it wants them.

One other question -- the game tries to start the Lynx browser when I try to view the manual or it tries to open any web page. Any easy way to change that, or am I better off just to install Lynx?

One last thing -- Mint 8 is based on Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala, Linux 2.6.31, Gnome 2.28 and Xorg 7.4. PlayDeb says ET is available for Ubuntu: 10.04, 10.10. Could be part of the problem?

Edited by farna

• Clan Friend

I am new to linux too, and I use a different distro (fedora 13), so maybe some linux expert can give you some better advice,

anyway:

in my pb folder I have a file called pbweb.x86, that's used to update pb, maybe you can try a:

find / -name pbweb.x86 | less

to check if you have one too, and where it is, but maybe you didn't install pb correctly?

pbsetup.run, I think you can get it here:

http://www.evenbalan...age=pbsetup.php

some say to run:

upx -d pbsetup.run

to unpack it, but I don't think i did it when I installed et.

Then, after you install pb you should have a pb folder, copy it to your home folder too (together with etmain, etc.) and update pb again from there using pbweb.x86.

I may have to do just that (move files to home folder). I put the updated HTM files in the HTM folder, but "Noobs Forever" still kicked me off with a 20004 "Game Integrity" error. I got on another server with no problems though. I hadn't restarted the whole computer after the update, maybe that had something to do with it. Will find out later.

Edited by farna