Enderal: Forgotten Stories

Dimo4ka

Heyo guys!

To cheer myself up, I took Enderal on Steam, which I can say, it’s certainly hundreds of times better than vanilla Skyrim, but I ran into one problem.

I can't say that I have a bad PC or something like that. core 5 12th generation, rx 6600 (which I recently purchased), 24 GB of RAM.

The whole problem is that even at medium settings I get about 50 fps, in particularly difficult moments it’s 20-25, the drawdown is significant and I can’t understand why. Many people have this problem on Steam, but I haven’t found a way to solve it.

Many people say to use ENB, well, I turned it on, nothing much has changed.
What’s most interesting is that the PC hardware is loaded at about half the load, the video card feels like it’s generally resting with a load of 40-70% of the core, the RAM is about 8GB, in general the PC behaves absolutely calmly.

The only thing that helped was to change the amount of RAM allocated for the game in the config, +/- I got rid of drawdowns. But the average settings of Skyrim look really bad, at high settings + rays and reflections the game looks just cool.

But why does the game behave so poorly? does anyone have an answer? Maybe someone has played this game and knows how to set up a normal config so that it fully uses the PC hardware?

• Like 1

I haven't played the Enderal mod myself but based off a quick Google search the performance issues seem to be due to poor optimisation and happen regardless of the hardware you play on. Skyrim and the mod simply do not make good use of modern hardware, and when it runs into bottlenecks the performance drops.

In cases like these you cannot do much - you could play on the beefiest hardware and the performance would be more or less unchanged. Best advice I can give is not to focus too much on the performance and just take it as it is if the mod is otherwise fun.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Lt Steiner said:

I haven't played the Enderal mod myself but based off a quick Google search the performance issues seem to be due to poor optimisation and happen regardless of the hardware you play on. Skyrim and the mod simply do not make good use of modern hardware, and when it runs into bottlenecks the performance drops.

In cases like these you cannot do much - you could play on the beefiest hardware and the performance would be more or less unchanged. Best advice I can give is not to focus too much on the performance and just take it as it is if the mod is otherwise fun.

Poor optimization, I completely agree, the mod doesn’t even forcefully want to load the PC ...

I realized that the problem was in optimization almost as soon as I entered the first cave/dungeon and my FPS was over 70, but around every turn or making spell there were half-send friezes of the picture

Well, at the moment I’m more than happy that at least on medium settings I got stable 50-60 fps in difficult moments without freezes. 😄 

I was able to force it in the config to consume more than 12GB of RAM if it needed it and I also increased the allowable video memory limit, which was also set to 512 MB, which is very little even for vanilla Skyrim

but the CPU is still loaded by 40-60% ...

I just saw how people play on a PC weaker than mine, some kind of Phenom x4 955 with 4 cores and gtx 760 at high settings, I kept wondering how they did it 😕 

• Like 1