Console issue

phir0x
Go to solution Solved by phir0x,

Hello all,

I have a new pc I want to start using to play ET however, when ingame, and the game runs smooth btw, when I open console ~ and press / to key in a command, the console closes again

basically disallowing me to use console. Didi anyone of you ran into this before and what can be done to solve this ?

thanks

-Phi

• Inactive Member
4 minutes ago, phir0x said:

Hello all,

I have a new pc I want to start using to play ET however, when ingame, and the game runs smooth btw, when I open console ~ and press / to key in a command, the console closes again

basically disallowing me to use console. Didi anyone of you ran into this before and what can be done to solve this ?

thanks

-Phi

Hey!

Did you check if you don’t have binded / and ~ ? If so unbind / 

I also recommend using English keyboard while playing ET

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks!

Binds are ok, I will have a look at the keyboard settings though, my current machine has a US installation of windows, with the US keyboard, and the new pc comes with a Dutch version of windows :S

and not sure what the keyboard settings are so, will swap pc's and have a look at it, cheers

• Like 2

• Inactive Member
3 minutes ago, phir0x said:

Thanks!

Binds are ok, I will have a look at the keyboard settings though, my current machine has a US installation of windows, with the US keyboard, and the new pc comes with a Dutch version of windows :S

and not sure what the keyboard settings are so, will swap pc's and have a look at it, cheers

while I was using my native language I couldn’t open my console and if I somehow did it didn’t work well until I swapped language to English (at keyboard only)

let me know if it helped ! 

:)

• Like 1

Same for me. With a German keyboard layout I cannot open the console with the default bind (~). The two options are: (1) rebinding, or (2) swapping between US QWERTY and German keyboard layouts on the fly (shift+alt).

• Like 1

OK so the keyboard settings are US Qwerty, same as on my current pc,  i can open console but whichever key I press the console closes.  I will continue my search to get this solved ;) 

• Like 1

If I open the console with the tilde key (~) in the US keyboard layout, and try to enter something into the console while still using the US keyboard layout, the console automatically closes down on me as well. It will only allow me to enter something into the console if I switch to the German keyboard layout.

For the reason why, I don't know. It's also exclusive to Legacy, ET 2.60b does not have that issue on my end, and if I recall correctly, it's only been an issue in Legacy since some update this or last year, too.

If you cannot find another solution to the problem, I would recommend installing a Dutch keyboard layout in the Windows settings and then switching between Dutch and US keyboard layouts on the fly by using the Shift+Alt shortcut to cycle through your installed keyboard layouts. It seems tedious at first, but one gets used to it quickly.

• Like 2

• Solution

I think i found the culprit. The keyboard layout was US Qwerty International, I now changed it to US Qwerty which seems to work :) 

Thanks for thinking with me on this 

/close 

• Like 2
  • 100 1

image.png.741109bf2c83a091a8f0d5e8a47f81b9.png

You can try to use this command (0 - disabled, 1 - enabled) to enable debug of keys.

image.png.8462994e80db1b4340b1e4eb5253ff20.png

And then set this.

Aditionally SHIFT+ESC should open your console too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 100 1