portable computer

Taz .?

I just got a new laptop ("portable computer") for college and gaming.. it's not bad:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5270805&CatId=4938

Most good gaming laptops will be pretty expensive ($1000+), so if you can then buy a desktop instead. Desktops are better than laptops anyway if you plan on using it to play games.

can you be bit more specific? till you do you'll get quite a few different aanwsers

e.g. what type of gaming - far cry or orignal doom?

what else you going to be using outside of it? video edidting, photoshop or just word processing etc

for 2500 usd you can something really nice like the link artisian gave - 6gb of DDR3 and intel core processer. However, unless you like your HD gaming you dont really need that - even something hefty like Doom3 can be ran on something cheap by scaling back on the flashy stuff like shadows and lighting effects. If you dont mind sacrafcing some of the effects and you arent doing naything that requires that much hardware you can save yourself the money by being a bit more realistic - an Alienware M11X should be much cheaper and be fine to run stuff on for example.

If you have the money go for it, but that money could be easily be found on getting a nice pair of external speakers , a good gaming mouse and other hardware. im not sure why you want portability unless your brining it to somewhere like college (in which case get good insurance on something that costly !) but like ohurcool said, desktop is usally better. for 2500 usd you can get something as insane as an Acer Aspire Predator Desktop for example

You can just get a smartphone or a netbook for less than $300. Netbooks and smartphones are truly "portable" - a big 17 inch laptop isn't really easily carried everywhere.

Laptops lose their value so fast that you don't want to buy a new $2000 one, you are throwing money away. The same one will be available for $500 a year from now on the bargain sites (tigerdirect.com, newegg.com). You might want to get last year's best laptop instead.

Never buy a used laptop. They are often dropped or damaged since people carry them around, unlike a used desktop.

I bought an Acer netbook a couple weeks ago and I am very happy with it. It runs faster than my old 2006 Gateway laptop. It has internal speakers and 250GB storage for thousands of songs and dozens of full-length movies. It's half the size and weight of a normal laptop.

I can play ET on my netbook from Linux. Installing Linux is easy and gives you a much faster operating system than whatever Windows bloatware was pre-installed. There are tutorials on this forum that will show you how to install Linux. Plug in a nice gaming mouse in the USB port of your netbook and you are ready.

One problem is that netbooks don't have CD/DVD drives. So if you buy a netbook, you need to download a "drive emulator" like VirtualCD, Alcohol 120, MagicISO, DaemonTools, etc etc. Just google "drive emulator" to get started. Be careful with anything you download lol. You are better off buying a legit copy, and the vendors will be happy to sell you one online.

With a drive emulator program you can put your CD/DVDs on a memstick and transfer them to your netbook. Then you can play any CD or DVD from the iso file. I use an 8GB memorystick to transfer iso files from my desktop PC to the netbook so I can install software, play games that require CDs, and watch movies.

hmm...external cd/dvd drives are only bout a tenner more. If you dont mind that it will be quicker than having to use something like MagicISO to copy from CD to ISO and then having to emulate the ISO each time. Not as portable an option, but its a bit more convienet imo.

Linux is nice, and though perhaps it may be a different but a distro like Ubuntu or (my preffered) Kubuntu will get you running and soon you may want to move onto something like Arch. A lot of software you use on Windows can be found on linux, and since its usually open-source its free . If you need to run anything non-native, you can use an emulation program like Wine or even emulate XP itself. If you want to try it, you can order a free live disc or you can simply download the ISO file - most Linux distros even have a version you can boot off on a usb. Just run of a usb - dont install or anything - and see how you like it . If you want to keep both your Windows and Linux OS you should be able to partion your hard drive.

a notebook is a good consideration if your gaming needs are light; obviously very cheap notebooks are useless for gaming (especialy ones that stil have Windows CE installed lol) so take a good hard look at the specs - specially processer and graphics.

okaii thanks but i need a laptop cause my parents are separate ( sry english ) and i need to take comp to the 2 ouse ,i can't buy 2 desktop =/

lol we aren't talking about desktops. Did you even read our replies?

Yes i have its just that some1 talk about desktop in the topic ;)

a small lan box would way cheaper and more powerful than a laptop. I only brought it up as an option if it "fits your needs"

Just put the option out there so you had various options to look at. If you want a real gaming laptop start at $1.5k and go up from there. You will want a big screen if you are going to be looking at it while gaming. Nothing worse than gaming on a 12inch screen.