Server redirection + SRV

sadFace

Okay guys I got two questions and you just might be the only ones to have the answers to, as google couldn't help me much.

First issue: I have two gameservers on the same IP with two different mods (etpro and jaymod) and two different ports, obviously (27960 for jaymod and 27954 for etpro). I wanted the players to be able to connect to the jaymod via the subdomain "jaymod.domain.whatever" and I manage to do that by going in the DNS zone tab of my hoster and by using the A (Host) stuff. I created another A (Host) subdomain (etpro) so that players could connect to the etpro serv by typing /connect etpro.domain.whatever:27954, but ideally it would be cool if people could just connect to the etpro without having to specify the port (27954). I googled a bit and it looks like it's possible to do so by using the SRV records feature from the DNS tab of my hoster. My question is : does ET support those "SRV records", or does it only apply to newer games and applications like TS3 and Minecraft, where I know from the articles I read that it's possible to do. And if ET does support it, what would be the syntax that I would need to use in my host control panel ? I especially am not too sure about what to put in the case "name". Would "_et._tcp.etpro.domain.whatever" be correct ?

Secondly, I've seen that you guys have a cool feature that I would like to have knowledge about as it seems to be useful in getting new players to the server.

If I take your jaymod server "F|A RECRUITING XPSAVE" as an exemple, I noticed that you actually have three servers. The real one (8.9.4.227:27960), the 2.55 facade that comes with ET 3.00 (8.9.4.227:27961) and a third server, that seems to act as a redirect (http://et.splatterladder.com/?mod=serverinfo&idx=760984). This third server appears empty on splatterladder and has 0 / 0 displayed as the amount of players. But in the Global server list, however, this server displays 54 players out of 58 available slots, and when clicking on 'server info', it just seems like the server is empty as absolutely no players are being displayed by scrolling down. When connecting to this third server, a message shows up and asks the players to redirect them to the real "jay1" server (8.9.4.227:27960). How is it possible to create such a redirect that is actually empty and redirects to the real server, but at the same time can display something like "54/58", which by the way isn't even the number of players on the real server, which at the moment for exemple is "29 (+3) / 51". Also, a normal server would display something like 'ET 3.00 - TB 0.7.4 linux-i386' on splatterladder next to 'system', but the redirect server mentioned above only displays 'fearless', which is strange. Is it a custom stuff you guys created or something ?

Edited by sadFace
  • Like 2

• Platinum VIP

Okay guys I got two questions and you just might be the only ones to have the answers to, as google couldn't help me much.

First issue: I have two gameservers on the same IP with two different mods (etpro and jaymod) and two different ports, obviously (27960 for jaymod and 27954 for etpro). I wanted the players to be able to connect to the jaymod via the subdomain "jaymod.domain.whatever" and I manage to do that by going in the DNS zone tab of my hoster and by using the A (Host) stuff. I created another A (Host) subdomain (etpro) so that players could connect to the etpro serv by typing /connect etpro.domain.whatever:27954, but ideally it would be cool if people could just connect to the etpro without having to specify the port (27954). I googled a bit and it looks like it's possible to do so by using the SRV records feature from the DNS tab of my hoster. My question is : does ET support those "SRV records", or does it only apply to newer games and applications like TS3 and Minecraft, where I know from the articles I read that it's possible to do. And if ET does support it, what would be the syntax that I would need to use in my host control panel ? I especially am not too sure about what to put in the case "name". Would "_et._tcp.etpro.domain.whatever" be correct ?

Secondly, I've seen that you guys have a cool feature that I would like to have knowledge about as it seems to be useful in getting new players to the server.

If I take your jaymod server "F|A RECRUITING XPSAVE" as an exemple, I noticed that you actually have three servers. The real one (8.9.4.227:27960), the 2.55 facade that comes with ET 3.00 (8.9.4.227:27961) and a third server, that seems to act as a redirect (http://et.splatterladder.com/?mod=serverinfo&idx=760984). This third server appears empty on splatterladder and has 0 / 0 displayed as the amount of players. But in the Global server list, however, this server displays 54 players out of 58 available slots, and when clicking on 'server info', it just seems like the server is empty as absolutely no players are being displayed by scrolling down. When connecting to this third server, a message shows up and asks the players to redirect them to the real "jay1" server (8.9.4.227:27960). How is it possible to create such a redirect that is actually empty and redirects to the real server, but at the same time can display something like "54/58", which by the way isn't even the number of players on the real server, which at the moment for exemple is "29 (+3) / 51". Also, a normal server would display something like 'ET 3.00 - TB 0.7.4 linux-i386' on splatterladder next to 'system', but the redirect server mentioned above only displays 'fearless', which is strange. Is it a custom stuff you guys created or something ?

Hey Sad ol' buddy!!!!

.. you got servers now?? 

Hey HipKat, still around ? :D 

Well yeah I got servers but I can't tell you which ones as it would probably be considered advertising :D 

So, do you have any idea about the SRV records and the server redirect ?

• Platinum VIP

Hey HipKat, still around ? :D

Well yeah I got servers but I can't tell you which ones as it would probably be considered advertising :D

So, do you have any idea about the SRV records and the server redirect ?

Yeah, still around. I can't help you, but there are some bright people here who probably can.

Been a long time, mate. Miss fragging with you a lot!! Are your servers doing well?? I been away from ETPro so long now, I didn't even know if anyone still plays it

Yep people are still playing ETPro on a few active servers, but starting a new team in 2k17 ain't easy, and what's even more difficult is to get a new server populated :/

Anyway, I hope to see you someday in-game so I can kick your ass like in the good old days :D

• Platinum VIP

Yep people are still playing ETPro on a few active servers, but starting a new team in 2k17 ain't easy, and what's even more difficult is to get a new server populated :/

Anyway, I hope to see you someday in-game so I can kick your ass like in the good old days :D

PM the server you normally play on and I'll stop in from time to time.

BTW, you never kicked my ass!! lol 

Wonder how many others from the past are still around

I found the answers that I needed myself, SRV records isn't supported in ET and about the fake redirects, there isn't really anything that can be done about it apparently, so the topic can be closed or deleted. Thanks