New computer build - Homeoffice + ET

Albatra0z

Heya!

So I'm planning a new build since my current computer took its last RPMs the morning of March 24th.. (rip) 

The build is quite simple, black and white colors to get it as clean as possible. I'll order from one of Swedens largest hardware online store and prices will be compared at pricerunner to minimize costs.  

The use of this will (ofc) be to play ET but also serve as a workstation with dual screens (I've always wanted that).

Le Idea

Chassi: NXZT H440 or the cheaper NXZT S340. The S340 I'm a bit unsure if the GPU and cooler will fit. 
MB: Asus Z170-A this I got already

CPU: Intel core i5 6600k 3,5Ghz

GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 1060 3Gb

RAM: Crucial ballistix 16gb white

Power supply: EVGA 650 gold fully modular

CPU cooler: Deepcool Captain120

Storage: Samsung 128Gb SSD (got this) + another 256Gb SSD

Extras: Sleeved NXZT white led cable with Corsair sleeved cables either white or black ones. In need of buying a legit Windows + Office aswell.. sigh..

Price: 1500-1700$ w/o screens. I'll by em second hand If I come across them. No rush. I would say this is something you won't buy every day, but use everyday so, I see it as an investment. 

Comments and suggestions are much appreciated since I've only built one PC before. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Results

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Le Specs 

Chassi: NXZT H440 
MB: Asus Z170-A

CPU: Intel core i5 6600k 3,5Ghz

GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 1060 3Gb

RAM: HyperX Fury 2400Mhz 

Power supply: EVGA 650 Gold

CPU cooler: Deepcool Captain120ex

Storage: Samsung 128Gb SSD

Extras: NXZT sleeved led cable white + legit Win10

Costs 

Right in the feels! Ended up with a total of 1445$

Evaluation

It was a fun build with some thoughts into it. I skipped the corsair sleeved white cables, totally unnecessary for 110$. Bought a legit win10 for that instead. Otherwise everything went fine besides some small things explained down here :)

Problems 

There's always some things that just wont work the way you want it to.
I mentioned the CPU cooler, pumphouse hoses faced downwards instead of upwards blocking some of the view. My expectation 
Maybe there's an easy fix for it, I dunno. Leaving it as it is for the moment. 

The chassi It came with 3 120mm fans at the front and 1 140mm exhaust at the back with its connections to a fanhub. The fanhub itself lacked support of fancontrol so I therefore had to drag cables to the MB using some extensions instead. I sacrificed 1 sleeved SATA cable from the PS to sleeve my colorful fan extension cable. You can see it between the radiatorfan and my CPU. 

Airflow. I had no thought what so ever of this when I ordered my PC. It just struck me when I mounted the radiator. H440 has pretty bad airflow options if you want to have the radiator at the like I wanted. Anyhow I now have the 3 at front as intake, rear radiator as exhaust together with 1 140mm exhaust at top. Think it will be enough. What do you think?

Final results here

Everything worked out beautifully in the end and even on the first start-up. Overall I'm very happy with it :)
Thanks for reading :)

Would have maybe looked for cheaper RAM or better perfs for such a price. Plus, I see mentionned "optimized for X99 platforms".. So, make sure that your mobo lists it as compatible on its site. Otherwise there's also this for about the same price and color: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMK16GX4M2B3000C15W-Vengeance-Performance-Desktop/dp/B01EI5Z2T6/

Also, maybe a single SSD+an HDD (1 or 2T), instead of 2 SSD's. https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_p_n_size_browse-bin_5?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A340831031%2Cn%3A428655031%2Cn%3A430502031%2Ck%3Ahard+drives%2Cp_72%3A419153031%2Cp_n_size_browse-bin%3A10625607031%7C10625609031&keywords=hard+drives&ie=UTF8&qid=1490438476&rnid=187137031

Aside this, in the whole, that should be a nice and solid rig. Congratz and don't forget to post some pics once built. :)

• Like 1

Thanks for feedback! 

Yea I've seen some with "optimized for x99 platforms" and I wont be needing that, didnt check the link thorough enough before posting it. But now since you mentioned Corsair vengeance I found theese ones! Neat! https://www.inet.se/produkt/5300077/corsair-16gb-2x8gb-ddr4-3000mhz-cl15-vengeance-led-vit#specs 

But not in stock.. We'll see. I will buy of costs/performance. Maybe I might be able to catch a pair on these special deals they have all the time.

I also noticed some DDR4 like HyperX fury is Skylake ready, got any input on that? I'll have to read more on it.

Storage, agreed. SSD prices still skyhigh.

Pics will follow, ofc ;)

Evening!

Just thought I'd flick in a small update on how it's going. Parts came today and I've made some progress with it. Takes a bit of time thou since I'm very careful so I don't miss or break anything hehe.

Some issues encountered, like the CPU cooler hoses from pump to radiator is mounted In the opposite way of how I want it. The hoses will now block some visual of the pumphouse. 

No big deal but almost every other pic at google got em facing upwards.

Aslo been reading alot about airflow and positive/negative pressure. I have my radiator at the back at the moment which I would like to keep there. 3 intake fans at the front. That's it atm. Any ideas on how to rig it? 

And there is some more issues but not today. Now it's way after bedtime!

Pics will follow tomorrow! 

Edit*

Pics so far:

Edit*

Build is progressing and almost complete. I think I'm good to go and start it up any time now, just making sure everything is where it should be. Happy with the results even thou I came across some problems and concerns. 
Tomshardware gave me answers on almost everything, whoa. Also Asus full z170-A guide on youtube. Apparently I'm not the only one going black & white ;) even with same components!