Sign in to follow this  
Aigle

Lag every 3 seconds punkbuster

Question

I recently moved back from Ottawa to Sherbrooke since my coop term with RIM ended and that University is starting on January 4. Now I have HUGE lag when I join our servers. Each 3 seconds my FPS would drop REALLY low and go back to 125. After 2-3 minutes, it stops but my FPS remain really low. However I've been playing with the same ET, same config, everything is the same. After spending 3 hours yesterday on a way to fix that, I ended at posting here.

Here are my digging steps:

After connecting directly to the cable modem, the lag was still there, so the router shouldn't be the problem.

The computer is the SAME. I took it with the SAME configuration from Ottawa and plugged it in Sherbrooke. The only difference is that the computer wasn't plugged during 1 week.

Now I'm using a wireless connection, but being by an ethernet cable doesn't solve the problem.

I downloaded ProcessMonitor from sysinternals.com and I finally realized that PnkBstrB.exe is the only program that is waking up EACH 3 seconds while ET.exe is sending packets.

I've completely clean my ET directory. I didn't reinstalled, but almost did the same: delete all mod folders, PB folder and clean all pk3s from etmain so it should solve the problem if it was a corrupted ET.

Now I'm wondering what is going on. I'll uninstall the punkbuster services and reinstall ET.

In the log I see a lot of PnkBstrB.exe UDP Send/Receive jodion-PC:45301 -> jodion:63270 and then my ET.exe is replying/sending UDP Send/Receive jodion:63270 -> jodion-PC:45301

So I guess the UDP socket to communicate to my ET is on 63270 and that punkbuster service B is on 45301. However I have no way to say if this is normal or not. I did my best by searching on the web, however it didn't really help.

Any help will be great.

Thanks.

17 answers to this question

I reverted my PB to the older version and it was working great. Then I upgraded to the latest version MANUALLY: file by file and it's working. The lag is gone or doesn't seems there..... WTH is this. I lost about 5 hours on that thing.

Thanks to everybody for the support!

how can I update mine manually, file by file, I updated manually but not file by file and no change, or how to revert to an older version, and there are a lot of people playing that have pb lag issues that need help and it's been going on long time