How to woo geeks

Term!n@tor

AMD's corporate vice president for product marketing Lesbie Sobon took the time to write a blog on how girls can get a geeky boyfriend. according to AMD:

It’s hard to find a good man, but not impossible if you’re willing to make a little effort. Working in high tech, I’m mostly around guys all day. And I can tell you that – in general – technical guys are pretty cool.

If nothing else, they will always be able to fix the TV, your PC, and the sprinkler system in a pinch. Yes, they have way too many gadgets, but come on, how many shoes do you have? How about just the black ones?

So, if you’re single and find yourself at a TweetUp chatting with the cute geek in a backpack, here’s how to speak his language, appreciate his hobbies, and potentially snag a date at Fry’s.

1. Learn the language. This is key. Here’s a great glossary of common PC terms written by women in high tech for non-geeks.

2. Hang out where the geeks hang out: QuakeCon, overclocking events, LAN parties, GDC. I know, I know. But, just think…he will never want to get a mani/pedi with you.

3. Ask questions. You don’t really have to understand what these questions mean, but throw them into the conversation and then act interested when he answers. (Actually, this works for pretty much any topic.)

What will win, X86 or ARM?

What’s more important in the PC – the CPU or GPU?

Is 3D just a niche?

4. If you don’t love gadgets, love the content: music, movies or games. I have yet to find a geek who isn’t passionate about one of these, if not all three. If you like movies, rent some Sci-Fi’s and you’ll be set. Try Blade Runner, The Matrix, Tron, and District 9 to start. If you game, just know that Sims and Lego count, Bejeweled doesn’t. Music is tougher. I find it impossible to listen to music I don’t like. I don’t care if he can get my alarm clock to make a Venti Soy Latte, I’m not spending the rest of my life with a man who’s into country music. But that’s me. If you can stomach tearjerker lyrics, more power to you.

5. Ignore his clothes.

Most geeks don’t wear pants. They wear jeans or shorts. Just get over it and wait for the ring to diversify his wardrobe. But if flip flops are non-negotiable, I understand.

To some of you, these lessons may seem daunting. But there’s good news here. You won’t have to learn sports. Trust me – most geeks know less than you about Red Sox vs. Yankees, the new NFL overtime rules, or why Canadian hockey teams can’t win the Stanley Cup anymore.

And when you snag your geek, here are some cool toys you can get him.

A great graphics card so he can upgrade his PC. He may ignore you, but at least he’s home.

If he likes to game, get him three screens. When he wins, he’s in a better mood.

An unlocked CPU for his PC. Just make sure no liquid nitrogen enters the house.

After this I was like wow only if girls could follow this :lol